What kind of temporary support can I receive while my case is ongoing?


In many instances, one party during a case needs the court to Order some kind of temporary support so that the party can maintain a standard of living during the portion of the case.  Temporary support may become permanent support if a party petitions the court and is successful.



In Illinois, under 750 ILCS 5/501, either party may move for:

(1)    Temporary maintenance or temporary support of a child;

(2)    A temporary restraining order or preliminary injunction;


(i)                  Retraining any person from transferring, encumbering, concealing or otherwise disposing of any property except in the usual course of business or for the necessities of life..

(ii)                Enjoining a party from removing a child

(3)    Other appropriate temporary relief:


(i)                  Interim attorney’s fees and costs in a prejudgment;


For more in depth information regarding temporary support, please refer to 750 ILCS 5/501.

Leave a Reply