Anderson & Boback Logo

The Importance of Representation with an MSA

Categorized as Divorce, Divorce Litigation

We are often contacted for assistance with post-decree matters stemming from Marital Settlement Agreements with awards for maintenance. It is typical for divorces to result in the entry of Judgments for Dissolution of Marriage with incorporated Marital Settlement Agreements. Parties enter into Marital Settlement Agreements for a number of reasons. Some parties may wish to end the marriage on amicable terms, so they decide to enter into an agreement that they believe is fair and just. Other parties may enter into agreements to avoid the cost of litigation and to speed up the divorce process. Although time and money are factors to be considered when discussing settlement options during the dissolution process, it is highly recommended that both parties have adequate representation prior to signing a Martial Settlement Agreement, especially when an agreement contains an award for maintenance. Unfortunately, many people enter into agreements without considering the long-term effects it will have on their finances, as they believe they can later modify the terms. Pursuant to 750 ILCS 5/510, of the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act, maintenance may only be modified upon a showing of a substantial change in circumstances. The Court determines whether there has been a substantial change in circumstances since the entry of the Judgment for Dissolution of Marriage, by considering several factors, which can be found in 750 ILCS 5/504 and 750 ILCS 5/510. One example of a potential change in circumstances could be a change in the employment status of either party. However, that change must have been in good faith. A Court will only modify a maintenance award if they determine a modification would be just and equitable based on the change in circumstances. It is unlikely for a Court to enter a Judgment, with an incorporated Marital Settlement Agreement, that the Court finds to be unconscionable. Therefore, it is very important that you seek representation prior to entering into any agreement, as a later modification is not guaranteed.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

Wonder if your spousal maintenance is modifiable? This question was addressed in Scarp v. Rahman when the father in the case of sought to modify his maintenance obligation.  The trial court would not allow the modification so he sought an…

Birthdays are a big deal to kids - they usually get a party with their friends with cake, balloons, presents, and if they are lucky, a ball pit to jump into at Chucky Cheese! The day is all about them.…

Our firm represents a lot of military families and for the most part, handling a military divorce is just like any other divorce.  There are specific rules that need to be followed, however, and those parents in the military facing…

Changes to Spousal Maintenance Law in Illinois In 2019, a significant change in the tax code was made regarding maintenance, which resulted in spousal maintenance (formerly known as “alimony”, also known as “spousal support”) being tax-free to the recipient and…

Illinois has modified its statutes wherein parents are now allocated “parental responsibilities” and “parenting time” instead of “custody”.  The purpose of these changes was to try and give the parents less to fight over.  You can win “custody” but winning…

For Illinois parents that are no longer together or facing divorce, understanding the basics of child custody law is important. First, the term “custody” no longer exists in Illinois. The State of Illinois changed its laws regarding custody in 2016,…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870