Anderson & Boback Logo

Am I still required to contribute to my children’s college expenses?

Categorized as Child Support


Continuing a further discussion from the last two blog posts that I have written, I want to touch base on another scenario regarding college expenses and your obligation to pay them on behalf of your children. Last time we discussed what it means to have what is called Section 513 expenses reserved in the Judgment for Dissolution of Marriage. But what about when the Judgment for Dissolution of Marriage doesn’t have an express reservation of college expenses?


So what happens if a settlement agreement does not specifically “reserve” the allocation of college expenses? In that case, the court has the authority to enforce a dissolution judgment providing that each party pay.


In In re Marriage of Koenis, the mother filed a petition for reimbursement for approximately $257,000 that she and the parties’ daughter incurred for college expenses and law school. The Judgment for Dissolution of marriage provided that, “the Husband and Wife shall pay for university, college or post-graduate school education for Tiffany herein based on their respective financial abilities and resources at such time.  The father argued the case that we discussed previously, Peterson and that the mother was barred from seeking reimbursement since the child had completed her schooling and the mothers petition was filed after all the expenses were incurred. The case went up to the Appellate Court and they sided with the mother. The Appellate Court stated that the settlement agreement not contain either a reservation clause or a reference to section 513 at all. The settlement agreement obligated both sides to contribute to the child’s post-secondary education, and so the mother could in fact seek the expenses incurred although she filed her petition after the expenses were incurred. See In re Marriage of Koenis, 2012 IL App. (2d) 110503.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

What Is Child Support? Child support is the terminology used to describe the periodic or ongoing payments one parent makes to the other following a divorce to assist in raising their shared children. Child support is thus a combination of…

Wonder if your spousal maintenance is modifiable? This question was addressed in Scarp v. Rahman when the father in the case of sought to modify his maintenance obligation.  The trial court would not allow the modification so he sought an…

Birthdays are a big deal to kids - they usually get a party with their friends with cake, balloons, presents, and if they are lucky, a ball pit to jump into at Chucky Cheese! The day is all about them.…

Our firm represents a lot of military families and for the most part, handling a military divorce is just like any other divorce.  There are specific rules that need to be followed, however, and those parents in the military facing…

Changes to Spousal Maintenance Law in Illinois In 2019, a significant change in the tax code was made regarding maintenance, which resulted in spousal maintenance (formerly known as “alimony”, also known as “spousal support”) being tax-free to the recipient and…

Illinois has modified its statutes wherein parents are now allocated “parental responsibilities” and “parenting time” instead of “custody”.  The purpose of these changes was to try and give the parents less to fight over.  You can win “custody” but winning…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870