Anderson & Boback Logo

When you can collect attorney’s fees

Categorized as Illinois Divorce

Sometimes divorce proceedings can get drawn out do to discovery, motion practice, and other strategic maneuvers. Oftentimes, this requires a party to incur attorney’s fees for an issue the other party is pursuing. As a result, a question I am often asked is, can the court order my spouse to pay my attorney’s fees? Like most family law issues, the answer to this question depends on the circumstances of your case.

The general rule is that a party is not entitled to attorney’s fees from the opposing party unless a statute or rule allows the party to collect attorney’s fees. In family law cases, there are only a few situations where you may be entitled to collect attorney’s fees from your spouse. The first is pursuant to Section 508(a) of the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act. This section allows a party to request attorney’s fees from their spouse while their case is ongoing in connection with the maintenance or defense of the proceeding, the enforcement or medication of an order, the defense of an appeal of any order, and the costs and legal services of an attorney rendered in preparation for the commencement of a proceeding. However, fees will only be awarded under this Section after the court considers several factors, including the income and property of each party, the needs of each party, the parties’ earning capacities, any impairment to their earning capacities, the degree of complexity of the issues in the case, and other relevant factors.

The second is pursuant to 508(b) of the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act. Pursuant to this Section, a party may request attorney’s fees from their spouse only if the spouse has failed to comply with an order or judgment. In this scenario, the party will petition the court to issue a rule to show cause why the other party is not complying with the order. If the Court finds that the party failed to comply with the order and that there was no compelling cause or justification as to why, the Court may require the non-compliant party to pay the other party’s attorney’s fees incurred in making the party comply with the order.

Finally, Supreme Court Rule 219 provides that, if a party fails to comply with a discovery request or any order with respect to a discovery request, the party can request attorney’s fees. In this scenario, the party would file a motion to compel the non-compliant party to comply with the discovery request or discovery order. If it is found that the party failed to comply with the discovery request or the discovery order and that the refusal to comply was without substantial justification, the Court may require the non-complaint party to pay the other party’s attorney’s fees incurred in making the party comply with the discovery. Although these rules allow a party to request attorney’s fees from their spouse, it is important to remember that these do not guarantee you will collect fees. Under all of these provisions, the Court must find your fees are fair, reasonable, and necessary before awarding fees.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

Wonder if your spousal maintenance is modifiable? This question was addressed in Scarp v. Rahman when the father in the case of sought to modify his maintenance obligation.  The trial court would not allow the modification so he sought an…

Birthdays are a big deal to kids - they usually get a party with their friends with cake, balloons, presents, and if they are lucky, a ball pit to jump into at Chucky Cheese! The day is all about them.…

Our firm represents a lot of military families and for the most part, handling a military divorce is just like any other divorce.  There are specific rules that need to be followed, however, and those parents in the military facing…

Changes to Spousal Maintenance Law in Illinois In 2019, a significant change in the tax code was made regarding maintenance, which resulted in spousal maintenance (formerly known as “alimony”, also known as “spousal support”) being tax-free to the recipient and…

Illinois has modified its statutes wherein parents are now allocated “parental responsibilities” and “parenting time” instead of “custody”.  The purpose of these changes was to try and give the parents less to fight over.  You can win “custody” but winning…

For Illinois parents that are no longer together or facing divorce, understanding the basics of child custody law is important. First, the term “custody” no longer exists in Illinois. The State of Illinois changed its laws regarding custody in 2016,…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870