Anderson & Boback Logo

Back Child Support

Categorized as Child Support Modification

Consider the following scenario: A couple divorced several years ago. Pursuant to their Judgment, mother has residential custody of the parties’ two children and father pays mother child support. However, one day, father is laid off and struggles to pay his support obligation. Out of the kindness of her heart, mother agrees to let father pay a reduced amount of child support while father is laid off. Pursuant to their agreement, father pays a reduced amount for the six months he is laid off. Once he begins working again, father raises his child support obligation back to the original amount.  From that time forward, father pays child support to mother as ordered in their Judgment. For a long time, it appears mother and father agreed to the temporary reduction in child support and it is not discussed. Then, suddenly, two years later, mother sues father for back child support, plus interest, and wins.

Unfortunately, this is a very common story in family law cases. Although this scenario seems unfair, it comports with the law in Illinois. Section 502 of the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act provides that parties to a dissolution proceeding may enter into written or oral agreements with respect to their property, finances, and their children. The general rule is that these terms are binding on the parties and the Court as long as the agreement is not unconscionable, or, in other words, is so unfair it “shocks the conscience.” However, Section 502 also provides a very important exception to the general rule: agreed upon terms with respect to the parties’ children, such as custody, visitation, and child support, are not binding on the Court. This means that, even if mother and father agreed to reduce father’s child support obligation in the above scenario, the Court did not have to accept their agreement and can find that father failed to pay his child support obligation. The reasoning behind this exception to the general rule is that, sometimes the parties’ agreement can adversely affect their children. As a result, the Court must review the agreement, determine if it is in the children’s best interests, and approve the agreement before it becomes binding. Unless the Court reviews and approves the agreement, it will not be binding on the parties.

The issue arises when parties make informal agreements with respect to their children without seeking the Court’s approval. If one party happens to change their mind, they can ask the Court to enforce the original Judgment even if the evidence shows they clearly agreed to this arrangement. In the scenario above, father could have easily petitioned the Court to lower his child support obligation due to the fact that he had been laid off. The Court would have likely allowed him to temporarily reduce his support obligation because he was not generating income at that time. If he had asked the Court for permission to lower his child support, then mother would not have been able to sue him two years later. The moral of the story is, if you and your ex-spouse are agreeing to modify your Judgment, do not do it informally. You can protect yourself by asking the Court to change your Judgment to conform to your current agreement.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

A cohabitation agreement is an agreement or contract entered into between two people living together in the same household who are in a romantic relationship but not married. With more millennial couples choosing to live together, whether planning to marry…

When going through a divorce it's not uncommon to think "I never want to get married again!" But later, you may fall in love again and be ready to venture into marriage again. If you are planning to remarry, you…

While doing an initial consultation with an individual looking to get divorced, I have found it is common to get questions about whether it is possible for a divorcing couple to work together with an attorney to do a collaborative…

No one likes to pay spousal maintenance (formally called "alimony" or referred to as spousal support). When you are employed and your ex refuses to work, there is a greater reluctance to want to pay maintenance. In Chicago divorces, there…

Finding the best child custody lawyer in Chicago may seem like a daunting and intimidating process if you have never been involved in a legal dispute. This is especially true when it comes to a custody case involving your children…

Parenting disputes, and accusations of being a bad or unfit parent, are extremely common in the world of divorce, juvenile, and family law. Many parents enter the courtroom with a laundry list of accusations of poor parenting against the other…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Why Choose

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870