Anderson & Boback Logo

Creating a Guardianship Estate for a Minor Child

Categorized as Child Support

There are many reasons why someone would need to create an estate for a minor child.  One reason may be that a parent has passed away and named the child as a direct beneficiary, or has been killed in a wrongful death action and has left this child with large sums of money as a result of this lawsuit.  Another reason could be that the child has been injured and has received a lawsuit settlement, or has received large amounts of sum to his/her name that needs to be supervised by the court until the child turns 18.


Whatever the reason may be, creating a guardianship estate can be a time consuming and even expensive process.  For one, someone needs to step forward as the proposed guardian for the minor child.  More likely than not it would be the parents, one parent, or a close relative.  There will also need to be notice to any other interested party to ensure that there is no objection as to the proposed guardian.  The guardian must meet certain requirements, such as a clean criminal record and must not have filed for bankruptcy within the last 10 years.


Secondly, the guardian will have to pay a premium for a bond amount that is 1.5 times the amount of the benefit the child will receive.  A certified bondsman will need to approve and sign off on the bond.  The bond ensures that the proceeds will be handled correctly and will ultimately be placed in a restricted account.  This account must be in the child’s name and must prohibit any withdrawals except by court order or until the child turns 18.


Once the funds are securely deposited into the restricted account, the guardian can ask the court to close the estate and cancel the bond, thereby relieving the guardian of having to continue to pay the annual premium on the bond.  The good news is that the guardian can petition the court for a reimbursement of the costs he/she incurred to create the estate so long as the fees are reasonable.  However, the guardian will need to front these costs until the court approves the reimbursement.


If the guardian would like to withdraw funds for the benefit of the child, he/she will need to file a petition with the court for an explanation as to the reason for the withdrawal and how the funds will be used.  Otherwise, the funds will accrue interest and be held in the restricted account until the child turns 18.  To ensure that the process is done correctly and efficiently, talk to an experienced attorney that can help you through this process.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

A cohabitation agreement is an agreement or contract entered into between two people living together in the same household who are in a romantic relationship but not married. With more millennial couples choosing to live together, whether planning to marry…

When going through a divorce it's not uncommon to think "I never want to get married again!" But later, you may fall in love again and be ready to venture into marriage again. If you are planning to remarry, you…

While doing an initial consultation with an individual looking to get divorced, I have found it is common to get questions about whether it is possible for a divorcing couple to work together with an attorney to do a collaborative…

No one likes to pay spousal maintenance (formally called "alimony" or referred to as spousal support). When you are employed and your ex refuses to work, there is a greater reluctance to want to pay maintenance. In Chicago divorces, there…

Finding the best child custody lawyer in Chicago may seem like a daunting and intimidating process if you have never been involved in a legal dispute. This is especially true when it comes to a custody case involving your children…

Parenting disputes, and accusations of being a bad or unfit parent, are extremely common in the world of divorce, juvenile, and family law. Many parents enter the courtroom with a laundry list of accusations of poor parenting against the other…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Why Choose

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870