My Ex is not abiding by the terms of our divorce decree. What can I do?

Many divorce decrees will not only separate marital property, but they will also include specific tasks that the parties need to complete to effectuate the property transfers to each other in the future.  For example, some divorce decrees that have language in them regarding the sale or transfer of the marital home will require both parties’ cooperation in executing a quit claim deed.  Another example might be a property division that is paid off over time from one party to another.  Maybe your spouse is ordered, per your divorce decree, to pay fifty percent of the out of pocket medical costs for your minor children.  There are all sorts of obligations placed upon parties in a divorce decree.  One of the most common questions I get involves one party not doing what they are supposed to do.

If your ex is not abiding by the divorce decree, you typically have two options: (1) You can file a motion asking the court to hold the other party in indirect civil contempt of court for non-compliance with the order, or (2) you can file a motion to enforce the judgment. These are just two of the many types of motions that can be filed.  The purpose of these motions is to encourage the other party to comply with whatever obligation is outstanding.  The Judge has the authority to hold them in contempt of court for a violation of a court order that is without compelling cause or justification.  Sometimes this is necessary in order to ensure future compliance with court orders.  Other times a simple motion to enforce the divorce decree may be enough to obtain full compliance.  It is completely dependent upon your situation.

If the other party to your family law proceeding is in violation of a court order, call our office to set up a consultation and to evaluate if either of these motions, or another motion, are necessary to file.  We would be happy to assist you.

You May Also Like
  • Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!
  • Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

    Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

    click to download now!

What Our clients are saying

Excellent - I highly recommend Kimberly Anderson. She is knowledgeable, assertive, and experienced. What impressed me most about Kim is her dedication. I was able to reach her whenever there was a problem. She always responded immediately, proposed a solution, and put me at ease. The entire legal team at Anderson & Boback is superb.

Lisa March 29, 2018

  • Why Choose Anderson & Boback ?

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    • firm overview Anderson & Boback

    • Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870