Anderson & Boback Logo

What Can I Do If I Don’t Like My Attorney?

Categorized as Divorce, Family Law

The attorney-client relationship can be a difficult one to navigate.  At one end, your attorney can be your most trusted adviser, counselor, and in some situations, friend.  They see you through the bad times, hear you out when you need to vent, and you know that they are fighting for your best interests despite the fact that your spouse or ex-spouse wants to harm you and/or your children.


However, unless your attorney is working for free, you are most likely spending a lot of money on your attorney on a monthly basis.  This dynamic can cause tension in the relationship if you feel that your attorney has been billing overbilling you or if you no longer have the money to pay for your attorney. In other situations, you may simply think your attorney is not fighting enough for you or there is a personality conflict.


Whatever the case may be, there are some ways you can substitute your attorney for a new one, or represent yourself.  In most divorce cases, a judge will allow a litigant to switch attorneys as many times as he/she wants so long as the divorce case is no yet set for trial.  However, switching attorneys several times can cause extensive delays in your case and will only increase your fees as the new attorney gets re-acquainted with your file. Once your case is set for trial, however, the judge may allow a new attorney to substitute in but may not allow your attorney to withdraw unless you specifically request it.  Furthermore, the judge will likely not continue your trial date, which could mean that your new attorney will need to get acquainted fast with your case, or you will need to try your case on your own.


A third approach would be to talk to your attorney about your issues and expectations, and where the breakdown in the relationship stems from.  You may find that your attorney is unaware of your expectations or there may simply be miscommunication that is leading to your frustration and disappointment.  If, however, you feel that the relationship is irreparable, do not wait too long to substitute your attorney for another one or the judge may just not let you.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

A cohabitation agreement is an agreement or contract entered into between two people living together in the same household who are in a romantic relationship but not married. With more millennial couples choosing to live together, whether planning to marry…

When going through a divorce it's not uncommon to think "I never want to get married again!" But later, you may fall in love again and be ready to venture into marriage again. If you are planning to remarry, you…

While doing an initial consultation with an individual looking to get divorced, I have found it is common to get questions about whether it is possible for a divorcing couple to work together with an attorney to do a collaborative…

No one likes to pay spousal maintenance (formally called "alimony" or referred to as spousal support). When you are employed and your ex refuses to work, there is a greater reluctance to want to pay maintenance. In Chicago divorces, there…

Finding the best child custody lawyer in Chicago may seem like a daunting and intimidating process if you have never been involved in a legal dispute. This is especially true when it comes to a custody case involving your children…

Parenting disputes, and accusations of being a bad or unfit parent, are extremely common in the world of divorce, juvenile, and family law. Many parents enter the courtroom with a laundry list of accusations of poor parenting against the other…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Why Choose

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870