Anderson & Boback Logo


Categorized as Divorce, Illinois Divorce

Divorcing parties need to be educated regarding the many different options they have as it pertains to tax filing during and subsequent to their divorce.  Parties that have attorneys representing them may not realize that their attorneys are actually precluded from giving them tax-related legal advice, and that they need to seek tax related advice from an accountant.  It is important that when you are divorcing that you have a good accountant to advise you as to the tax issues that can arise in divorce situations.

One of the items that parties find themselves arguing over is the dependency exemptions that they may be allotted for their minor children.  When the parties filed taxes together, they were able to both benefit from claiming the dependency exemptions for their children.  Upon divorce, when the parties no longer file taxes together, the parties need to determine who will receive the dependency exemptions for the minor children, and in which years.  Only one party can claim a specific dependency exemption in any given tax year.

We usually advise our clients to talk to their accountant about what the most cost effective way is to handle the division of dependency exemptions.  The answer is different for parties depending upon the circumstances of their divorce agreement.  There are a lot of factors to consider when making this decision, including, but not limited to: whether or not spousal support will be awarded, whether or not the spousal support will be taxed, how much will be paid in child support, how many children there are, who is paying support, who is receiving support, the tax filing status of the parties, the custody provisions, etc.  The issue of who should receive the dependency exemptions is not a simple question to answer.  Thus, it is best that if you are going through a divorce that you talk to your accountant about all possible support and tax scenarios so that you are educated as to how the dependency exemption can benefit you or your former spouse.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

A cohabitation agreement is an agreement or contract entered into between two people living together in the same household who are in a romantic relationship but not married. With more millennial couples choosing to live together, whether planning to marry…

When going through a divorce it's not uncommon to think "I never want to get married again!" But later, you may fall in love again and be ready to venture into marriage again. If you are planning to remarry, you…

While doing an initial consultation with an individual looking to get divorced, I have found it is common to get questions about whether it is possible for a divorcing couple to work together with an attorney to do a collaborative…

No one likes to pay spousal maintenance (formally called "alimony" or referred to as spousal support). When you are employed and your ex refuses to work, there is a greater reluctance to want to pay maintenance. In Chicago divorces, there…

Finding the best child custody lawyer in Chicago may seem like a daunting and intimidating process if you have never been involved in a legal dispute. This is especially true when it comes to a custody case involving your children…

Parenting disputes, and accusations of being a bad or unfit parent, are extremely common in the world of divorce, juvenile, and family law. Many parents enter the courtroom with a laundry list of accusations of poor parenting against the other…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Why Choose

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870