Anderson & Boback Logo

What is a Deposition and How Do I Prepare?

Categorized as Illinois Divorce, Illinois Family Law

Often in divorce or custody cases the parties will have to sit for a deposition.  A deposition is usually conducted outside of the courtroom, generally at one of the attorney’s offices.  The party that is being deposed is present, along with their attorney, if they have one.  The opposing party may be present to listen to the deposition, but this is not mandatory.  The opposing party’s attorney will be present as well.  A court reporter is also hired for the deposition to take down the testimony and put it into a transcript.  Judges are not present for depositions and oftentimes won’t even review the deposition transcript unless they are asked to by an attorney or it is presented at a trial.

A deposition is used by the opposing attorney to gather information from the witness.  The attorney is looking to find out what the witness knows and what they will testify to at a trial.  Depositions are informal, but this can be deceiving.  Depositions are vitally important and despite the fact that they are informal, anything you say can be used against you at a later date.  Additionally, attorneys will take depositions to secure testimony from a witness.  If the party being deposed answers a question one way at a deposition and later changes their answer at a hearing or a trial, the attorney can use this to discredit the witnesses’ testimony altogether.

If you are being deposed and you are represented by counsel, they will generally prepare you for your deposition in advance.  It is important that you have a conversation with your attorney about what to say and what not to say, and how to answer questions prior to the deposition being taken.  If you are unrepresented and are called upon to sit for a deposition, it is beneficial to speak to an attorney and hire one to go with you to preserve your rights.  Our attorneys are experienced in conducting depositions, feel free to call us to set up a consultation if you find yourself in this situation.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

A cohabitation agreement is an agreement or contract entered into between two people living together in the same household who are in a romantic relationship but not married. With more millennial couples choosing to live together, whether planning to marry…

When going through a divorce it's not uncommon to think "I never want to get married again!" But later, you may fall in love again and be ready to venture into marriage again. If you are planning to remarry, you…

While doing an initial consultation with an individual looking to get divorced, I have found it is common to get questions about whether it is possible for a divorcing couple to work together with an attorney to do a collaborative…

No one likes to pay spousal maintenance (formally called "alimony" or referred to as spousal support). When you are employed and your ex refuses to work, there is a greater reluctance to want to pay maintenance. In Chicago divorces, there…

Finding the best child custody lawyer in Chicago may seem like a daunting and intimidating process if you have never been involved in a legal dispute. This is especially true when it comes to a custody case involving your children…

Parenting disputes, and accusations of being a bad or unfit parent, are extremely common in the world of divorce, juvenile, and family law. Many parents enter the courtroom with a laundry list of accusations of poor parenting against the other…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Why Choose

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870