Anderson & Boback Logo

When you can collect attorney’s fees

Categorized as Illinois Divorce

Sometimes divorce proceedings can get drawn out do to discovery, motion practice, and other strategic maneuvers. Oftentimes, this requires a party to incur attorney’s fees for an issue the other party is pursuing. As a result, a question I am often asked is, can the court order my spouse to pay my attorney’s fees? Like most family law issues, the answer to this question depends on the circumstances of your case.

The general rule is that a party is not entitled to attorney’s fees from the opposing party unless a statute or rule allows the party to collect attorney’s fees. In family law cases, there are only a few situations where you may be entitled to collect attorney’s fees from your spouse. The first is pursuant to Section 508(a) of the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act. This section allows a party to request attorney’s fees from their spouse while their case is ongoing in connection with the maintenance or defense of the proceeding, the enforcement or medication of an order, the defense of an appeal of any order, and the costs and legal services of an attorney rendered in preparation for the commencement of a proceeding. However, fees will only be awarded under this Section after the court considers several factors, including the income and property of each party, the needs of each party, the parties’ earning capacities, any impairment to their earning capacities, the degree of complexity of the issues in the case, and other relevant factors.

The second is pursuant to 508(b) of the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act. Pursuant to this Section, a party may request attorney’s fees from their spouse only if the spouse has failed to comply with an order or judgment. In this scenario, the party will petition the court to issue a rule to show cause why the other party is not complying with the order. If the Court finds that the party failed to comply with the order and that there was no compelling cause or justification as to why, the Court may require the non-compliant party to pay the other party’s attorney’s fees incurred in making the party comply with the order.

Finally, Supreme Court Rule 219 provides that, if a party fails to comply with a discovery request or any order with respect to a discovery request, the party can request attorney’s fees. In this scenario, the party would file a motion to compel the non-compliant party to comply with the discovery request or discovery order. If it is found that the party failed to comply with the discovery request or the discovery order and that the refusal to comply was without substantial justification, the Court may require the non-complaint party to pay the other party’s attorney’s fees incurred in making the party comply with the discovery. Although these rules allow a party to request attorney’s fees from their spouse, it is important to remember that these do not guarantee you will collect fees. Under all of these provisions, the Court must find your fees are fair, reasonable, and necessary before awarding fees.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

A cohabitation agreement is an agreement or contract entered into between two people living together in the same household who are in a romantic relationship but not married. With more millennial couples choosing to live together, whether planning to marry…

When going through a divorce it's not uncommon to think "I never want to get married again!" But later, you may fall in love again and be ready to venture into marriage again. If you are planning to remarry, you…

While doing an initial consultation with an individual looking to get divorced, I have found it is common to get questions about whether it is possible for a divorcing couple to work together with an attorney to do a collaborative…

No one likes to pay spousal maintenance (formally called "alimony" or referred to as spousal support). When you are employed and your ex refuses to work, there is a greater reluctance to want to pay maintenance. In Chicago divorces, there…

Finding the best child custody lawyer in Chicago may seem like a daunting and intimidating process if you have never been involved in a legal dispute. This is especially true when it comes to a custody case involving your children…

Parenting disputes, and accusations of being a bad or unfit parent, are extremely common in the world of divorce, juvenile, and family law. Many parents enter the courtroom with a laundry list of accusations of poor parenting against the other…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Why Choose

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870