Anderson & Boback Logo
travel to another state with children during divorce case

Can I Travel Out-of-State With My Children While My Family Law Case is Pending?

Categorized as Blog, Divorce, Family Law, Illinois Family Law

One of the common issues parents deal with when going through a newly filed divorce is how to deal with pre-planned vacations and travel out-of-state with the minor children. Whether a divorce, child custody or paternity action, these cases usually occur at the least convenient times. When parents make decisions to take each other to Court it is not necessarily something that has been planned months in advance.

While a family law case is pending my clients often want to know if they have a right to leave Illinois with the minor children – whether for a planned vacation or similar type of trip. My answer is almost always that it is best to try and enter an Order regarding a trip instead of just rather than just taking one. to ensure everyone understands the absence is temporary. Otherwise, poor communications between the parties could result in the non-traveling parent believing that the traveling parent is not returning the minor children. If that happens, it could lead to seeking an Order of Protection, allegations of parental kidnapping, and more. So, it is better to be safe than sorry when planning a vacation during family law proceedings.

Permission to Travel Out of State With Minor Children

First and foremost, if it is a pre-planned trip, the parties should communicate with one another to see if there is still an agreement for one (or sometimes both) of the parties to travel out-of-state with the minor children on the pre-planned vacation. The attorneys for the parents can also communicate and try to draft an agreed order, which sets forth the dates of travel, method of transportation/travel information, an address where the minor children will be staying, an emergency phone number, etc. That way it is completely clear to everyone where the children will be.

Motion to Travel Out of State

Alternatively, if there is no agreement for the party who wishes to travel to another state with their minor children, a motion can be filed with the court requesting the travel. At that point, it is up to the discretion of the Judge if the trip will be allowed. However, under no circumstances should a parent take their minor children out of state without first discussing the travel with legal counsel. Doing so when there is a family law matter pending can lead to unintentional consequences.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

A cohabitation agreement is an agreement or contract entered into between two people living together in the same household who are in a romantic relationship but not married. With more millennial couples choosing to live together, whether planning to marry…

When going through a divorce it's not uncommon to think "I never want to get married again!" But later, you may fall in love again and be ready to venture into marriage again. If you are planning to remarry, you…

While doing an initial consultation with an individual looking to get divorced, I have found it is common to get questions about whether it is possible for a divorcing couple to work together with an attorney to do a collaborative…

No one likes to pay spousal maintenance (formally called "alimony" or referred to as spousal support). When you are employed and your ex refuses to work, there is a greater reluctance to want to pay maintenance. In Chicago divorces, there…

Finding the best child custody lawyer in Chicago may seem like a daunting and intimidating process if you have never been involved in a legal dispute. This is especially true when it comes to a custody case involving your children…

Parenting disputes, and accusations of being a bad or unfit parent, are extremely common in the world of divorce, juvenile, and family law. Many parents enter the courtroom with a laundry list of accusations of poor parenting against the other…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Why Choose

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870