Types of Parenting Time Schedules – Part (3) of (4)

More common parenting time arrangements are 70/30 and 80/20 schedules.  This week we will review 70/30 parenting plans.  The following are examples of schedules where one parent has 70% of the time with the child and the other parent has 30% of the time.

  • The every weekend schedule allows the child to live with one parent during the week and with the other parent on the weekends.
  • The 5-2 schedule accommodates the child living with one parent for 5 days and the other parent for 2 days.
  • The every 3rd week schedule enables the child to live with one parent for 2 weeks and the other parent for 1 week.
  • The every 3rd day schedule allows the child to live with one parent for 2 days and the other parent for 1 day.

Generally, 70/30 schedules work best when:

  • Your child does better with one consistent home base; this is true especially of elementary school aged children.
  • The parents do not live within a close proximity to each other.
  • One parent has a very busy work schedule or travels frequently.
  • Exchanges tend to cause issues and conflict within the family.

The biggest drawback of the 70/30 schedule is that one parent has significantly more time with the child than the other parent. If a 70/30 schedule seems to be the best fit for your child, but you ideally would like more equal parenting time, you can use the holiday schedule or a summer break schedule to give more time to the other parent.  To make sure the parent with less parenting time does not lose touch with the minor, the parent with the majority of parenting time should encourage phone calls, Facetime, text messages, and emails/social media contact between the other parent and the child.

 

Leave a Reply