Anderson & Boback Logo
government shutdown behind on child support

Behind on Child Support Since the Government Shutdown

Categorized as Child Support, Child Support Modification


One issue that many parents were worried about during the government shutdown was falling behind on child support. The last government shutdown was the longest government shutdown in U.S. history lasting 35 days from December 22, 2018, and ending on January 25, 2019. During that time over 800,000 individuals missed paychecks. Many news articles focused on not being able to pay rent or mortgage. If you were one of the 800,000 plus individuals who did not receive a paycheck, you may not have been able to pay child support. Now that you are working again, what can you do to catch up and minimize the damage?

Child Support Modification When You Can’t Pay

Child support is a state issue and as such, is governed by state statutes. In Illinois, non-custodial parents have a duty to support their children. If you cannot afford to pay child support in Illinois, you can ask the Court for a modification. You do that filing a Motion to Modify. The key about asking to modify child support is to get the motion on file right away since motions to modify can only be granted back to the date of filing. Therefore, if you did not file a motion to modify while you were not receiving a paycheck, you cannot now file a motion to modify because you no longer qualify for a modification.

Modify Child Support or Seek Agreement with the Custodial Parent

If you did not file a motion to modify, the best thing to do is speak to the custodial parent and try to work out an agreement as to how to make up the back amounts. It is important that any agreement you reach be in writing and, if possible, approved by the judge. Without Court approval, it will be difficult to enforce any agreement. Unfortunately, if you did not file a Motion to Modify or Abate Child Support while you were not receiving funds, there is no way to go back and discharge what was owed. So, you are reliant on the custodial parent to negotiate in good faith. It is best to start working on an agreement quickly, as once the custodial parent files a Petition for Rule (contempt) in court, you are at the mercy of the judge and could be responsible for the other parent’s attorneys fees and costs as well as back child support.

If you did file a motion to modify or abate payments while the shutdown was ongoing, you need to keep up with your child support payments that come due now that you are receiving a paycheck. At this point, it will be up to the judge to determine whether the lack of a paycheck for a period of time entitles you to a modification or abatement.

Whether your case is currently pending in front of the court or whether you are trying to work out a child support agreement, it is always best to consult an attorney with expertise in family law and child support. Contact Anderson & Boback to learn the best way to proceed if you fell behind on child support since the government shutdown.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

When going through a divorce it's not uncommon to think "I never want to get married again!" But later, you may fall in love again and be ready to venture into marriage again. If you are planning to remarry, you…

While doing an initial consultation with an individual looking to get divorced, I have found it is common to get questions about whether it is possible for a divorcing couple to work together with an attorney to do a collaborative…

No one likes to pay spousal maintenance (formally called "alimony" or referred to as spousal support). When you are employed and your ex refuses to work, there is a greater reluctance to want to pay maintenance. In Chicago divorces, there…

Finding the best child custody lawyer in Chicago may seem like a daunting and intimidating process if you have never been involved in a legal dispute. This is especially true when it comes to a custody case involving your children…

Parenting disputes, and accusations of being a bad or unfit parent, are extremely common in the world of divorce, juvenile, and family law. Many parents enter the courtroom with a laundry list of accusations of poor parenting against the other…

Unfortunately, there are many negative connotations when it comes to the word “divorce.” Maybe you have personally went through a divorce in the past or maybe you know someone who has. When people think of divorce, it is not uncommon…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Why Choose

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870