Anderson & Boback Logo

Vacating an Executed Voluntary Acknowledgment of Paternity

Categorized as Divorce Litigation

In the excitement of the moment, many fathers have signed Voluntary Acknowledgments of Paternity for a child that is later determined to not be his child.  Case law has established a procedure to vacate a Voluntary Acknowledgment of Paternity (VAP).  In the recent amendments to the Parentage Act, said case law has now been codified into the statute.

Specifically, 750 ILCS 45/6(a)(d)(2014) and 750 ILCS 45/309(2016) provides that after the statutory period of 60 days in which a party can rescind the VAP, a VAP can only be challenged in court on the basis of fraud, duress, or mutual mistake.  In order to invoke this provision, a party must file a Motion to Dismiss pursuant to 2-1401 within 2 years of the signing of the Voluntary Acknowledgment of Paternity.

After 2 years, case law has established that even a showing of due diligence and a meritorious defense (that you are not the father) are sufficient to vacate a VAP.  Instead, “a litigant must additionally establish that the grounds for relief were fraudulently concealed from him, in order to toll the limitation period.”  Ptasek v. Michaelik, 238 Ill. App. 3d 72, 78 (1st Dist. 1992).  In the alternative, a party could show that he was under legal disability or duress.

In Crowell v. Bilandic, 81 Ill. 2d 422, 428 (1980), the Illinois Supreme Court held that the type of conduct that would be considered fraudulent enough to toll the 2-year requirement consists of affirmative acts or representations designed to prevent discovery of the cause of action or ground for relief.  As such, the father must prove that the mother at some point within 2 years of signing the VAP found out that he was not the father, and actively concealed the fact from him.  If the mother also did not know, then she has not committed fraud.

This law seems unfair to those who do not find out that they are not the father until after 2 years of the signing of the VAP.  The case law has now been codified into the statute and remains the law for the time being, as unfair as it may be to those who are stuck paying child support for children that are not their biological children.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

A cohabitation agreement is an agreement or contract entered into between two people living together in the same household who are in a romantic relationship but not married. With more millennial couples choosing to live together, whether planning to marry…

When going through a divorce it's not uncommon to think "I never want to get married again!" But later, you may fall in love again and be ready to venture into marriage again. If you are planning to remarry, you…

While doing an initial consultation with an individual looking to get divorced, I have found it is common to get questions about whether it is possible for a divorcing couple to work together with an attorney to do a collaborative…

No one likes to pay spousal maintenance (formally called "alimony" or referred to as spousal support). When you are employed and your ex refuses to work, there is a greater reluctance to want to pay maintenance. In Chicago divorces, there…

Finding the best child custody lawyer in Chicago may seem like a daunting and intimidating process if you have never been involved in a legal dispute. This is especially true when it comes to a custody case involving your children…

Parenting disputes, and accusations of being a bad or unfit parent, are extremely common in the world of divorce, juvenile, and family law. Many parents enter the courtroom with a laundry list of accusations of poor parenting against the other…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Why Choose

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870