Anderson & Boback Logo

Can I Take My Children Out of State in Illinois?

Categorized as Child Relocation

We receive inquiries regularly from parents of children in Illinois regarding whether or not they can remove their child from the state of Illinois when they are estranged from their child’s other parent.  The answer varies, depending on different situations.

Temporary Removal for a Vacation or Trip

Parents are free to remove minor children from the state of Illinois for a vacation or a trip, so long as there is no court order which prohibits them from doing so, and for so long as the travel does not impact the other parent’s parenting time.  There is an automatic stay that goes into place when a divorce case is filed, however, so parents should be careful to ensure they are not violating the automatic stay that goes in place when the divorce case is filed.  They should ensure that they notify the other parent that they will be traveling, provide an itinerary and any flight or travel information, a phone number where the child can be reached and the dates they will be gone and returning.  This should be provided in writing so that the other parent cannot claim they were not notified.  In the event that you have a parentage case or divorce case pending and you are seeking to take a trip that would impact the other parent’s time, the safest way to do this is to obtain a court order permitting the travel. This can be accomplished by agreement of the parties, or, worst case scenario, by filing a motion asking the Judge for permission to travel.

Relocating a Child During a Pending Case

“Relocation” is a legal term in Illinois that refers to removing a child from the state of Illinois for something beyond simply traveling.  This term implies it is a more long-term move out of state, such as to permanently reside in another state.  Relocation refers to moving a minor child more than 25 miles away from where they currently reside, whether that relocation is outside of the state of Illinois or within the confines of the state of Illinois.  For moves greater than 25 miles away from where a child currently lives, a court order is needed before the relocation can occur.  In 2022, Illinois statutes were modified to allow for a “temporary” relocation of a minor child, while the bigger issue of permanent relocation is pending.  This might allow a parent to move their child for a job, or for a similar reason, before a final relocation is determined.  However, if you want to do a temporary relocation, a court order is still required, whether it is by agreement, or by the court hearing a motion on the issue. You cannot move a child more than 25 miles away from where they currently live whether it is within the state of Illinois or outside of Illinois, without some sort of court order authorizing it, or there are serious repercussions (including but not limited to having to send your minor child to live with their other parent, assuming they live in the area where the child was residing prior to the move.)

Permanent relocation is similar. It requires the agreement of the parties in a court order, a court order from a Judge granting permission for a permanent move.

Planning for a Child Relocation Case

In our family law practice, we assist clients regularly in planning for a potential relocation case.  This includes figuring out if child relocation is a viable option, and weighing the factors the court will consider when determining a relocation.  It is extremely important that a parent seeking relocation not make any “sudden moves” without the Court’s permission. 

For example, if someone obtains a new job that is in another state, they may not want to buy a property near the new job location until they are certain that the minor child will be able to go with them temporarily.  Often jobs are not a great reason to relocate solely on their own because the relocation has to specifically serve the child’s best interests, especially if their other parent lives in Illinois still.  Emphasis is given to the child maintaining a close and loving relationship with both parents.  The worst scenario is when a potential client comes to us and they have accepted a new job out of state and signed a lease or purchased a residence, only to find out their spouse is objecting to the move after the fact.  To stay out of this scenario it is important to consult an experienced attorney from the beginning of a relocation case to determine how this type of scenario can be avoided.

If you have a question regarding a child custody issue, feel free to contact our office for a  consultation with our

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

What Is Child Support? Child support is the terminology used to describe the periodic or ongoing payments one parent makes to the other following a divorce to assist in raising their shared children. Child support is thus a combination of…

Wonder if your spousal maintenance is modifiable? This question was addressed in Scarp v. Rahman when the father in the case of sought to modify his maintenance obligation.  The trial court would not allow the modification so he sought an…

Birthdays are a big deal to kids - they usually get a party with their friends with cake, balloons, presents, and if they are lucky, a ball pit to jump into at Chucky Cheese! The day is all about them.…

Our firm represents a lot of military families and for the most part, handling a military divorce is just like any other divorce.  There are specific rules that need to be followed, however, and those parents in the military facing…

Changes to Spousal Maintenance Law in Illinois In 2019, a significant change in the tax code was made regarding maintenance, which resulted in spousal maintenance (formerly known as “alimony”, also known as “spousal support”) being tax-free to the recipient and…

Illinois has modified its statutes wherein parents are now allocated “parental responsibilities” and “parenting time” instead of “custody”.  The purpose of these changes was to try and give the parents less to fight over.  You can win “custody” but winning…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870