Anderson & Boback Logo


Categorized as Divorce, Illinois Divorce

Divorcing parties need to be educated regarding the many different options they have as it pertains to tax filing during and subsequent to their divorce.  Parties that have attorneys representing them may not realize that their attorneys are actually precluded from giving them tax-related legal advice, and that they need to seek tax related advice from an accountant.  It is important that when you are divorcing that you have a good accountant to advise you as to the tax issues that can arise in divorce situations.

One of the items that parties find themselves arguing over is the dependency exemptions that they may be allotted for their minor children.  When the parties filed taxes together, they were able to both benefit from claiming the dependency exemptions for their children.  Upon divorce, when the parties no longer file taxes together, the parties need to determine who will receive the dependency exemptions for the minor children, and in which years.  Only one party can claim a specific dependency exemption in any given tax year.

We usually advise our clients to talk to their accountant about what the most cost effective way is to handle the division of dependency exemptions.  The answer is different for parties depending upon the circumstances of their divorce agreement.  There are a lot of factors to consider when making this decision, including, but not limited to: whether or not spousal support will be awarded, whether or not the spousal support will be taxed, how much will be paid in child support, how many children there are, who is paying support, who is receiving support, the tax filing status of the parties, the custody provisions, etc.  The issue of who should receive the dependency exemptions is not a simple question to answer.  Thus, it is best that if you are going through a divorce that you talk to your accountant about all possible support and tax scenarios so that you are educated as to how the dependency exemption can benefit you or your former spouse.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

Wonder if your spousal maintenance is modifiable? This question was addressed in Scarp v. Rahman when the father in the case of sought to modify his maintenance obligation.  The trial court would not allow the modification so he sought an…

Birthdays are a big deal to kids - they usually get a party with their friends with cake, balloons, presents, and if they are lucky, a ball pit to jump into at Chucky Cheese! The day is all about them.…

Our firm represents a lot of military families and for the most part, handling a military divorce is just like any other divorce.  There are specific rules that need to be followed, however, and those parents in the military facing…

Changes to Spousal Maintenance Law in Illinois In 2019, a significant change in the tax code was made regarding maintenance, which resulted in spousal maintenance (formerly known as “alimony”, also known as “spousal support”) being tax-free to the recipient and…

Illinois has modified its statutes wherein parents are now allocated “parental responsibilities” and “parenting time” instead of “custody”.  The purpose of these changes was to try and give the parents less to fight over.  You can win “custody” but winning…

For Illinois parents that are no longer together or facing divorce, understanding the basics of child custody law is important. First, the term “custody” no longer exists in Illinois. The State of Illinois changed its laws regarding custody in 2016,…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870