Anderson & Boback Logo

Dividing Property

Categorized as Illinois Divorce, Property Division

                In order to obtain a Judgment for Dissolution of Marriage, the parties must do one of two things: either settle their case, or proceed to trial. Under the first option, the parties reach a settlement agreement which disposes of all issues regarding their property and their children. Once the agreement has been reached, the parties will request the Court to enter their agreement and dissolve their marriage. Under the second option, if the parties are not going to reach a settlement agreement, they must proceed to trial and dispute their issues before the Court. Once the trial is completed, the Court will determine how to equitably distribute the parties’ property and resolve any custody issues with respect to the parties’ children. When facing a divorce trial a question that often arises is “what is the Judge going to do with our property?” In order to understand what the Court may do with your property after the trial is over, it is important to know what the Court is authorized to do with your property under the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act.

                Section 503(i) of the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act authorizes the Court to “make such judgments affecting the marital property as may be just and may enforce such judgments by ordering a sale of marital property, with proceeds therefrom to be applied as determined by the Court.” As a result, Section 503(i) allows the Court to distribute, and even order the sale of, the parties’ marital property.  Marital property is all property that is acquired by either spouse during their marriage. This includes any property that is acquired after a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage is filed, but before the Court enters a Judgment for Dissolution of Marriage dissolving the parties’ marriage. This means that, even if one party purchases a piece of property during the marriage with their own money, this piece of property will be considered marital property and may be divided between the parties by the Court. For example, if a husband purchases a vehicle with his own money after the parties file for divorce but prior to the divorce being entered, this vehicle is considered marital property and Section 503(i) authorizes the Court to order the husband to sell the vehicle and give some of the proceeds to the wife.

                Any property acquired prior to the marriage is not considered marital property, but rather, is labeled that party’s non-marital property. The statute also provides that marital property does not include any property that is by acquired gift, legacy or descent, property acquired in exchange for property acquired before the marriage, property obtained in a judgment awarded to one spouse from the other spouse, and income or an increase in value of property acquired through these methods, even if the property was acquired by these methods during the marriage. Because the statute only allows a Court to distribute marital property, the Court cannot distribute a party’s non-marital property. Rather, the non-marital property must be awarded to that party, unless they otherwise agree.

                Although the statute authorizes the Court to distribute and sell the parties’ marital property, it is important to remember that, when distributing this property, the Court will consider all of the relevant factors in your case. Therefore, even though the statute authorizes the Court to order the husband sell his vehicle in the example provided above, that does not necessarily mean the Court would require the husband to sell his vehicle. Rather, the Court will consider the parties’ property as a whole and will equitably distribute that property based upon the property’s value and the facts of the parties’ case.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

The legal term “best interests” is a concept that comes up in almost all child-related areas of family law. When making essentially any decision on behalf of a child, the court is going to look at what is best for…

Maintenance, formerly known as alimony, is a relief granted to a party in a dissolution of marriage case that equitably restores to the party a standard of living to which they became acclimated during the marriage.  For spouses going through…

Visitation interference occurs when the custodial parent in some way interferes with your ability to spend parenting time with your child or visit with them.  In Illinois, a parent has a couple of options when the other parent interferes with…

We receive inquiries regularly from parents of children in Illinois regarding whether or not they can remove their child from the state of Illinois when they are estranged from their child’s other parent.  The answer varies, depending on different situations.…

People often are confused about the difference between a Civil Union and a Domestic Partnership, and what their rights are if their partner, to whom they are not married, leaves them or predeceases them.  This blog is designed to explain…

One of the most hot-button terms in parenting cases in Cook County is “alienation”, meaning that one parent is actively seeking to keep the child from having a relationship with their other parents. The current laws on parenting favor both…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870