Anderson & Boback Logo

DNA Testing and Costs

Categorized as Paternity

In the event that a father did not sign a Voluntary Acknowledgment of Paternity (or, a “VAP”) at the hospital when a child was born, they may have the right to request DNA testing to confirm paternity. Even in the event that a father did sign the VAP, if it has been less than two years, in some circumstances, they can still request a DNA test (every case is different). Parties often wonder what their rights are and how a DNA test works, as well as who pays the costs for same.

In family court in Illinois, the rule is generally that the requestor of the DNA test incurs the costs for same. However, in some circumstances, the Court may allocate the fees and costs for the DNA test between the parties. It is up to judicial discretion, so it varies from Judge to Judge who will ultimately be responsible for the payment of the costs for a DNA test.


DNA testing confirms whether or not a party is the biological father of the minor child. Once the DNA test results come back, if they are positive, the Court will enter an Order declaring the father as the biological and natural father of the child. They will have all rights that a parent enjoys, as well as the obligation to support the child financially. While a VAP may be voluntarily signed without a DNA test, the party who signs it without a paternity test may be relinquishing their rights to obtain one, unless it is done in a timely manner, pursuant to statute.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

Maintenance, formerly known as alimony, is a relief granted to a party in a dissolution of marriage case that equitably restores to the party a standard of living to which they became acclimated during the marriage.  For spouses going through…

Visitation interference occurs when the custodial parent in some way interferes with your ability to spend parenting time with your child or visit with them.  In Illinois, a parent has a couple of options when the other parent interferes with…

We receive inquiries regularly from parents of children in Illinois regarding whether or not they can remove their child from the state of Illinois when they are estranged from their child’s other parent.  The answer varies, depending on different situations.…

People often are confused about the difference between a Civil Union and a Domestic Partnership, and what their rights are if their partner, to whom they are not married, leaves them or predeceases them.  This blog is designed to explain…

One of the most hot-button terms in parenting cases in Cook County is “alienation”, meaning that one parent is actively seeking to keep the child from having a relationship with their other parents. The current laws on parenting favor both…

In Illinois, there are two main ways to go about changing your minor child’s name: by agreement, and by Court adjudication of the issue.  As with all things related to co-parenting a minor child, the easiest and least costly method…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870