Anderson & Boback Logo

When is it Necessary to Appoint Guardianship?

Categorized as Illinois Family Law

A family can never emotionally prepare for an unexpected tragedy that leaves a loved one disabled. Typically when an adult relative with financial obligations is suddenly unable to work, provide access to assets, communicate, and make decisions, his or her family members struggle to meet those obligations. The family needs quick access to the disabled person’s property to begin to manage his or her affairs and make decisions.
The Probate Court may provide some immediate relief through the appointment of a guardianship of the disabled person. There are 2 types of guardianship—of the person and of the estate of the person. Guardianship of the person give the guardian authority to make decisions regarding the person’s care only whereas guardianship of the estate grants the authority to make decisions related to the person’s property. Therefore, if the disabled person does not have any property it is not necessary to seek guardianship of the estate.
The Court may find that it is necessary to appoint a professional called a Guardian ad Litem to go and visit the disabled person at the hospital and to submit a report documenting that the disabled person is unable to communicate and make decisions for him or herself. A medical doctor will also be required to submit a similar report to the court assessing the medical condition of the disabled person.
Once the judge hears from these professional and finds that the disabled person is unable to communicate and make decisions and the person seeking guardianship is a suitable person to serve as guardian, the court will grant the guardian, providing a family much needed help to move forward.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

What Is Child Support? Child support is the terminology used to describe the periodic or ongoing payments one parent makes to the other following a divorce to assist in raising their shared children. Child support is thus a combination of…

Wonder if your spousal maintenance is modifiable? This question was addressed in Scarp v. Rahman when the father in the case of sought to modify his maintenance obligation.  The trial court would not allow the modification so he sought an…

Birthdays are a big deal to kids - they usually get a party with their friends with cake, balloons, presents, and if they are lucky, a ball pit to jump into at Chucky Cheese! The day is all about them.…

Our firm represents a lot of military families and for the most part, handling a military divorce is just like any other divorce.  There are specific rules that need to be followed, however, and those parents in the military facing…

Changes to Spousal Maintenance Law in Illinois In 2019, a significant change in the tax code was made regarding maintenance, which resulted in spousal maintenance (formerly known as “alimony”, also known as “spousal support”) being tax-free to the recipient and…

Illinois has modified its statutes wherein parents are now allocated “parental responsibilities” and “parenting time” instead of “custody”.  The purpose of these changes was to try and give the parents less to fight over.  You can win “custody” but winning…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870