Anderson & Boback Logo

How to Avoid a Default Judgment

Categorized as Illinois Divorce

When a  divorce or family law case is initially filed with the court, the filing party must provide the other party with notice. This is called Service of Process. This is done by serving the other party with a Summons and a copy of the document that was filed. (Example: Petition for Dissolution of Marriage). A Summons is an official notice that a legal proceeding was filed and that you are a named party. The Summons states what type of proceeding has been filed. The Summons explains that you must file a written Appearance and an Answer in the Circuit Clerk’s Office within a certain number of days, often within thirty (30) days. Under most circumstances, the Sheriff’s Department or a private process server will serve the Summons, along with the document that was filed. It is common for service attempts to be made at a party’s residence or at their place of employment. Service of Process is completed when the server hands the Summons and the filed document to the other party. Service of Process is also completed when the server hands the Summons and filed document to someone who lives in the party’s home, as long as the recipient is over the age of thirteen (13).

It is crucial that you file your written Appearance and Answer by the deadline, so that the Court knows you are participating in the legal proceedings. Do not ignore the fact that you have been served. The clock is now ticking. If you do not file your Appearance and Answer by the deadline then the filing party is able to motion the Court for relief by asking for the entry of a Default Judgment.


Although it may be possible to vacate a Default Judgment after its entry, it is highly recommended that you avoid getting into this situation altogether. Judges are not impressed when court proceedings are ignored and without valid justification, it is unlikely that a Judge would grant a request to vacate a Default Judgment. The best way to avoid this uphill battle is to simply file your written Appearance and Answer in a timely manner. Be proactive and protect yourself.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

Wonder if your spousal maintenance is modifiable? This question was addressed in Scarp v. Rahman when the father in the case of sought to modify his maintenance obligation.  The trial court would not allow the modification so he sought an…

Birthdays are a big deal to kids - they usually get a party with their friends with cake, balloons, presents, and if they are lucky, a ball pit to jump into at Chucky Cheese! The day is all about them.…

Our firm represents a lot of military families and for the most part, handling a military divorce is just like any other divorce.  There are specific rules that need to be followed, however, and those parents in the military facing…

Changes to Spousal Maintenance Law in Illinois In 2019, a significant change in the tax code was made regarding maintenance, which resulted in spousal maintenance (formerly known as “alimony”, also known as “spousal support”) being tax-free to the recipient and…

Illinois has modified its statutes wherein parents are now allocated “parental responsibilities” and “parenting time” instead of “custody”.  The purpose of these changes was to try and give the parents less to fight over.  You can win “custody” but winning…

For Illinois parents that are no longer together or facing divorce, understanding the basics of child custody law is important. First, the term “custody” no longer exists in Illinois. The State of Illinois changed its laws regarding custody in 2016,…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870