Anderson & Boback Logo

How to “get rid of” an adverse order

Categorized as Illinois Divorce, Illinois Family Law

In Illinois family law cases, sometimes orders are entered which are adverse to clients. Clients often ask if there are ways to get rid of an order. Sometimes, the answer is yes, but it is situational and the primary way to determine if the order can be removed depends upon how and why it was entered.

Agreed orders, those orders entered by agreement, generally cannot be vacated absent an extenuating circumstance. They cannot be appealed, because the Judge didn’t decide anything since it was an agreed order. Orders entered ex-parte, or without one of the parties present and without notice, can sometimes be vacated, depending upon the circumstances surrounding why the order was entered. If it was entered ex-parte due to a finding that allowed it to be entered without notice, then that reason alone would not be grounds to vacate it.

Orders entered by a Judge can be appealed, where leave is sought of the Appellate Court to change or modify the initial Court’s ruling, but the appeal has to be filed and noticed within certain statutory time frames in order for it to be appealable, and, except in certain circumstances, you must have a final order.

Finally, orders entered within 30 days can be vacated under circumstances that a Court deems “reasonable”. So, essentially, for good cause shown. This is up to judicial discretion.

If you are seeking to have an order vacated, it is always best to consult with an attorney because the circumstances of each order can be very different, and different rules will apply to each set of circumstances.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

The legal term “best interests” is a concept that comes up in almost all child-related areas of family law. When making essentially any decision on behalf of a child, the court is going to look at what is best for…

Maintenance, formerly known as alimony, is a relief granted to a party in a dissolution of marriage case that equitably restores to the party a standard of living to which they became acclimated during the marriage.  For spouses going through…

Visitation interference occurs when the custodial parent in some way interferes with your ability to spend parenting time with your child or visit with them.  In Illinois, a parent has a couple of options when the other parent interferes with…

We receive inquiries regularly from parents of children in Illinois regarding whether or not they can remove their child from the state of Illinois when they are estranged from their child’s other parent.  The answer varies, depending on different situations.…

People often are confused about the difference between a Civil Union and a Domestic Partnership, and what their rights are if their partner, to whom they are not married, leaves them or predeceases them.  This blog is designed to explain…

One of the most hot-button terms in parenting cases in Cook County is “alienation”, meaning that one parent is actively seeking to keep the child from having a relationship with their other parents. The current laws on parenting favor both…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870