Anderson & Boback Logo

How to Obtain Copies of Police Reports

Categorized as Divorce

In domestic relations cases, particularly in those that involve domestic violence and/or children, parties will want to obtain copies of police reports which don’t necessarily name them within them.  For example, maybe there was a domestic violence incident at your child’s other parent’s home between the other parent and a third party.  People often wonder how they can obtain copies of these reports.  One way to do so is through the Freedom of Information Act, or, to make a “FOIA” request.

The Freedom of Information Act allows third parties to make a request for a police report, any police report.  Every police precinct has their own procedure for obtaining these documents, but it generally requires some basic information about the parties named, an address, and filling out a form/application with the police department.  Once this information is requested, the police reports will be mailed to you.  However, a lot of the personal information of the people listed is redacted, so it typically isn’t admissible in Court.  In order to obtain copies without the personal information redacted, usually a subpoena has to be sent.  In any event, a police report, to be admissible, generally requires the police officer who completed the report attend the hearing and certify the authenticity, as well as be subject to cross-examination.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

Wonder if your spousal maintenance is modifiable? This question was addressed in Scarp v. Rahman when the father in the case of sought to modify his maintenance obligation.  The trial court would not allow the modification so he sought an…

Birthdays are a big deal to kids - they usually get a party with their friends with cake, balloons, presents, and if they are lucky, a ball pit to jump into at Chucky Cheese! The day is all about them.…

Our firm represents a lot of military families and for the most part, handling a military divorce is just like any other divorce.  There are specific rules that need to be followed, however, and those parents in the military facing…

Changes to Spousal Maintenance Law in Illinois In 2019, a significant change in the tax code was made regarding maintenance, which resulted in spousal maintenance (formerly known as “alimony”, also known as “spousal support”) being tax-free to the recipient and…

Illinois has modified its statutes wherein parents are now allocated “parental responsibilities” and “parenting time” instead of “custody”.  The purpose of these changes was to try and give the parents less to fight over.  You can win “custody” but winning…

For Illinois parents that are no longer together or facing divorce, understanding the basics of child custody law is important. First, the term “custody” no longer exists in Illinois. The State of Illinois changed its laws regarding custody in 2016,…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870