Anderson & Boback Logo

Living Arrangements During Pre-Decree Divorce Proceedings  

Categorized as Illinois Divorce

It is common for parties to live apart throughout the divorce process. Sometimes a spouse may move in with a friend or family member. Maybe the parties can afford the rent for an apartment on top of their monthly mortgage for the marital residence. Perhaps the parties own more than one residence, to begin with. Whatever the facts may be, it is safe to say that it is better to make decisions regarding living arrangements together, if possible. This way marital finances and obligations are accounted for and stress is minimized.

Some parties live together throughout the divorce process. This may be by choice or maybe out of necessity. For some parties, financially, it just makes sense to live together until the divorce is finalized. Other parties may determine it is in their children’s best interests for them to remain together in the same household, of course, only if the parties can be cordial with each other.   What if, by living together, your spouse is causing damage to your physical or mental well-being, or that of your children, and they refuse to move out?

According to Section 501 of the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act, specifically, 750 ILCS 5/501(c-2), if the physical or mental well-being of either party or the parties’ children is being jeopardized by both parties occupying the marital residence, then the court may enter a temporary order granting exclusive possession of the marital residence during the pendency of the case to one of the parties. For this to take place, a party must file a verified complaint or petition seeking temporary relief. Unless waived by the court for good cause shown, due notice and a full hearing is required prior to the entry of an order granting exclusive possession to one of the parties. When determining whether to grant a request for exclusive possession, the court will balance the parties’ hardships and if children are involved, the court will also look at what is in the children’s best interests.   Whatever your situation may be, it is always best to have an experienced attorney by your side.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

What Is Child Support? Child support is the terminology used to describe the periodic or ongoing payments one parent makes to the other following a divorce to assist in raising their shared children. Child support is thus a combination of…

Wonder if your spousal maintenance is modifiable? This question was addressed in Scarp v. Rahman when the father in the case of sought to modify his maintenance obligation.  The trial court would not allow the modification so he sought an…

Birthdays are a big deal to kids - they usually get a party with their friends with cake, balloons, presents, and if they are lucky, a ball pit to jump into at Chucky Cheese! The day is all about them.…

Our firm represents a lot of military families and for the most part, handling a military divorce is just like any other divorce.  There are specific rules that need to be followed, however, and those parents in the military facing…

Changes to Spousal Maintenance Law in Illinois In 2019, a significant change in the tax code was made regarding maintenance, which resulted in spousal maintenance (formerly known as “alimony”, also known as “spousal support”) being tax-free to the recipient and…

Illinois has modified its statutes wherein parents are now allocated “parental responsibilities” and “parenting time” instead of “custody”.  The purpose of these changes was to try and give the parents less to fight over.  You can win “custody” but winning…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870