Anderson & Boback Logo

Modifying the Allocation of Parental Responsibilities- Part Two: Decision-Making

Categorized as Child Custody & Visitation

As discussed in Part One of Modifying the Allocation of Parental Responsibilities, many people are familiar with the terminology “custody” and “visitation” when thinking of child-related issues in dissolution and parentage matters. However, those are outdated terms. As of January 1, 2016, the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act (IMDMA) began using “allocation of parental responsibilities” instead. Parental responsibilities include parenting time and significant decision-making responsibilities. It is a good idea to familiarize yourself with the definitions for “parenting time” and “significant decision-making” prior to filing any pleadings seeking a modification of an existing Parenting Plan or Allocation Judgment. The definitions can be found in 750 ILCS 5/600.

To modify an existing Parenting Plan or Allocation Judgment specifically regarding decision-making responsibilities, you must first refer to 750 ILCS 5/610.5.

Generally, a Motion to Modify Decision-Making Responsibilities may not be filed earlier than two (2) years after the Parenting Plan or Allocation Judgment was entered. However, if a party believes that the child’s present environment may seriously endanger the child’s mental, moral, or physical health or significantly impair the child’s emotional development, then party may file a Motion to Modify. The motion must be supported by affidavit.

If a Motion to Modify Decision-Making Responsibilities is filed after the two-year mark, as mentioned above, the court will modify the existing Parenting Plan or Allocation Judgment if doing so serves the best interests of the child.  The Court must find by a preponderance of the evidence that a substantial change has occurred in the circumstances of the child or of either parent. This means that you must provide convincing evidence to the Court that proves the change in circumstances warrants a modification of the existing Parenting Plan or Allocation Judgment, so that the child’s best interests are properly served.  Remember that the substantial change in circumstances must have occurred after the entry of the existing Parenting Plan or Allocation Judgment. Also, the substantial change in circumstances must not have been anticipated prior to the entry of the existing Parenting Plan or Allocation Judgment.

Pursuant to Section 610.5(e), there are a few exceptions to the requirement of showing changed circumstances. Just as discussed in Part One, the parents may agree to modify the existing Parenting Plan or Allocation Judgment. As long as the proposed modification is in the child’s best interests, it is likely that the Court would grant the modification request.

Another exception is when the modification request reflects the actual arrangement under which the child has been receiving care, without parental objection, for the six (6) months immediately preceding the filing of the Motion to Modify.

If you are interested in seeking a modification to your existing Parenting Plan or Allocation Judgment it is recommended that you speak to a qualified attorney.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

Maintenance, formerly known as alimony, is a relief granted to a party in a dissolution of marriage case that equitably restores to the party a standard of living to which they became acclimated during the marriage.  For spouses going through…

Visitation interference occurs when the custodial parent in some way interferes with your ability to spend parenting time with your child or visit with them.  In Illinois, a parent has a couple of options when the other parent interferes with…

We receive inquiries regularly from parents of children in Illinois regarding whether or not they can remove their child from the state of Illinois when they are estranged from their child’s other parent.  The answer varies, depending on different situations.…

People often are confused about the difference between a Civil Union and a Domestic Partnership, and what their rights are if their partner, to whom they are not married, leaves them or predeceases them.  This blog is designed to explain…

One of the most hot-button terms in parenting cases in Cook County is “alienation”, meaning that one parent is actively seeking to keep the child from having a relationship with their other parents. The current laws on parenting favor both…

In Illinois, there are two main ways to go about changing your minor child’s name: by agreement, and by Court adjudication of the issue.  As with all things related to co-parenting a minor child, the easiest and least costly method…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870