Anderson & Boback Logo

My Ex is not abiding by the terms of our divorce decree. What can I do?

Categorized as Divorce Litigation

Many divorce decrees will not only separate marital property, but they will also include specific tasks that the parties need to complete to effectuate the property transfers to each other in the future.  For example, some divorce decrees that have language in them regarding the sale or transfer of the marital home will require both parties’ cooperation in executing a quit claim deed.  Another example might be a property division that is paid off over time from one party to another.  Maybe your spouse is ordered, per your divorce decree, to pay fifty percent of the out of pocket medical costs for your minor children.  There are all sorts of obligations placed upon parties in a divorce decree.  One of the most common questions I get involves one party not doing what they are supposed to do.

If your ex is not abiding by the divorce decree, you typically have two options: (1) You can file a motion asking the court to hold the other party in indirect civil contempt of court for non-compliance with the order, or (2) you can file a motion to enforce the judgment. These are just two of the many types of motions that can be filed.  The purpose of these motions is to encourage the other party to comply with whatever obligation is outstanding.  The Judge has the authority to hold them in contempt of court for a violation of a court order that is without compelling cause or justification.  Sometimes this is necessary in order to ensure future compliance with court orders.  Other times a simple motion to enforce the divorce decree may be enough to obtain full compliance.  It is completely dependent upon your situation.

If the other party to your family law proceeding is in violation of a court order, call our office to set up a consultation and to evaluate if either of these motions, or another motion, are necessary to file.  We would be happy to assist you.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

What Is Child Support? Child support is the terminology used to describe the periodic or ongoing payments one parent makes to the other following a divorce to assist in raising their shared children. Child support is thus a combination of…

Wonder if your spousal maintenance is modifiable? This question was addressed in Scarp v. Rahman when the father in the case of sought to modify his maintenance obligation.  The trial court would not allow the modification so he sought an…

Birthdays are a big deal to kids - they usually get a party with their friends with cake, balloons, presents, and if they are lucky, a ball pit to jump into at Chucky Cheese! The day is all about them.…

Our firm represents a lot of military families and for the most part, handling a military divorce is just like any other divorce.  There are specific rules that need to be followed, however, and those parents in the military facing…

Changes to Spousal Maintenance Law in Illinois In 2019, a significant change in the tax code was made regarding maintenance, which resulted in spousal maintenance (formerly known as “alimony”, also known as “spousal support”) being tax-free to the recipient and…

Illinois has modified its statutes wherein parents are now allocated “parental responsibilities” and “parenting time” instead of “custody”.  The purpose of these changes was to try and give the parents less to fight over.  You can win “custody” but winning…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870