Anderson & Boback Logo

Should a Child Be Returned to Another Country Under the Hague Convention?

Categorized as Child Custody & Visitation

In an increasingly mobile world, it is oftentimes hard to determine what country a parent, especially a child, resides in. As a result, several countries are signatories to the Hague Convention which allows for the return of a child to the state in which the child is a “habitual resident”. Given the problems that can occur with the definition of a habitual resident, there are a lot of cases that have been decided to define its meaning.

Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction

The Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (“Hague Convention”), opened for signature Oct. 25, 1980, T.I.A.S. No. 11,670, and the International Child Abduction Remedies Act (“ICARA”), 42 U.S.C. 11601 et seq., generally requires courts in the United States to order children returned to their countries of “habitual residence” if those children have been wrongfully removed to, or retained in, the United States.

The Convention has two main purposes: to ensure the prompt return of children to the state of their habitual residence when they have been wrongfully removed” and to ensure that rights of custody and access under the law of one Contracting State [i.e., a signatory to the Convention,] are effectively respected in the other Contracting States.

Evaluating “Habitual Residence”

In evaluating cases where more than one country could possibly be the country of “habitual residence”, the courts have looked to the intent of the parents as a particularly important factor in understanding the context of a child’s move to another country. As such, a child’s habitual residence changes when the child becomes settled in another country, even if one or both of the parents intend for the child to return to the original country of habitual residence.

Was the Child Wrongfully Removed?

After a court determines which country is the child’s habitual residence, the court must then determine if the child was wrongfully removed from that country. Whether a child’s removal or retention was wrongful within the meaning of the Convention involves two inquiries: (a) whether the removal or retention breached petitioner’s custody rights under the law of the State in which the child was habitually resident immediately before the removal or retention and (b) whether petitioner was exercising those custody rights at the time of the removal or retention, or would have been but for the removal or retention.

As a result, the courts must then look at the local domestic relations law of that particular county, to determine if that parent had violated the custody laws of that state in that country and whether that parent was in fact exercising those custody rights. A parent could also use the defense that the child is now “well-settled” in the new country, or that returning the child to the other country would result in immediate harm to the child.

Filing a Hague Petition

This area of law tends to be complex especially because it involves the interaction of two countries who may have different laws or interpretations about which country the child should be returned to. As a result, the application of this particular law differs vastly despite all of the countries adopting the same law. If you feel this law applies to you or your child, it is important to note that there is a one-year filing requirement to file a Hague Petition. Contact a lawyer to discuss the facts of your case before its too late.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

The legal term “best interests” is a concept that comes up in almost all child-related areas of family law. When making essentially any decision on behalf of a child, the court is going to look at what is best for…

Maintenance, formerly known as alimony, is a relief granted to a party in a dissolution of marriage case that equitably restores to the party a standard of living to which they became acclimated during the marriage.  For spouses going through…

Visitation interference occurs when the custodial parent in some way interferes with your ability to spend parenting time with your child or visit with them.  In Illinois, a parent has a couple of options when the other parent interferes with…

We receive inquiries regularly from parents of children in Illinois regarding whether or not they can remove their child from the state of Illinois when they are estranged from their child’s other parent.  The answer varies, depending on different situations.…

People often are confused about the difference between a Civil Union and a Domestic Partnership, and what their rights are if their partner, to whom they are not married, leaves them or predeceases them.  This blog is designed to explain…

One of the most hot-button terms in parenting cases in Cook County is “alienation”, meaning that one parent is actively seeking to keep the child from having a relationship with their other parents. The current laws on parenting favor both…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870