Anderson & Boback Logo

What if My Spouse And I Want to Get Back Together?

Categorized as Divorce

Perhaps you or your spouse were trigger-happy after an ugly fight and one of you filed for divorce, and are now regretting it. Or perhaps you or your spouse were determined to get a divorce, but midway through the process you decided it was better to give it another try.

The reality of divorce can be pretty ugly. The parties may do a pros/cons of what they would be gaining/losing should they decide to stay married or get a divorce. Depending on the length of the marriage and the ages of the parties and the children, it may often make more economic sense to stay married.

If you are considering reconciling with your spouse, one recommendation would be that you obtain a post-nuptial agreement with your spouse. A post-nuptial agreement is essentially a pre-nuptial agreement, but after you are married. The incentive for signing is that the parties would stay married. In a post-nup, the parties could decide issues regarding maintenance and property so that if they end up divorcing several years later, they could have a better idea of what to expect when assets are divided.

The other advice we would give is that, instead of dismissing it right away, you allow us to put the case on the reconciliation calendar for 6 months to a year. In other words, the court is put on notice that you and your spouse are attempting to reconcile and want some time to figure it out before dismissing the entire case. That way, if reconciliation fails, you don’t have to spend money to re-file the case again.

In whatever scenario you choose, if you ultimately want to dismiss the case, you may have to pay your spouse’s costs that he or she may have incurred in filing his/her appearance. However, if you and your spouse are in agreement, you can decide to waive costs. Ultimately, reconciliation cases are happy endings for divorce lawyers and judges. We don’t see a lot of them, but we are optimistic that the reconciliation will be a success.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

Wonder if your spousal maintenance is modifiable? This question was addressed in Scarp v. Rahman when the father in the case of sought to modify his maintenance obligation.  The trial court would not allow the modification so he sought an…

Birthdays are a big deal to kids - they usually get a party with their friends with cake, balloons, presents, and if they are lucky, a ball pit to jump into at Chucky Cheese! The day is all about them.…

Our firm represents a lot of military families and for the most part, handling a military divorce is just like any other divorce.  There are specific rules that need to be followed, however, and those parents in the military facing…

Changes to Spousal Maintenance Law in Illinois In 2019, a significant change in the tax code was made regarding maintenance, which resulted in spousal maintenance (formerly known as “alimony”, also known as “spousal support”) being tax-free to the recipient and…

Illinois has modified its statutes wherein parents are now allocated “parental responsibilities” and “parenting time” instead of “custody”.  The purpose of these changes was to try and give the parents less to fight over.  You can win “custody” but winning…

For Illinois parents that are no longer together or facing divorce, understanding the basics of child custody law is important. First, the term “custody” no longer exists in Illinois. The State of Illinois changed its laws regarding custody in 2016,…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870