Anderson & Boback Logo

When Attempted Service of Process Fails

Categorized as Illinois Family Law

To initiate a case that is not initiated by agreement, the other party has to be served notice of process. The service itself is simple; the sheriff goes out to the person’s residence or place of employment and hands them copies of what has been filed in the case, including a Summons. This person is then considered “served” and they have 30 days from the date of service to file an appearance or cause an appearance to be filed on their behalf. If they do not, then the party who served them can proceed to obtain the relief they are seeking without that person’s participation, by default. So, what happens when the Sheriff tries to serve someone and they are not successful?

First and foremost, chances are that the summons that was issued is no longer good if service by the Sheriff has failed. The summons expires about a month after it is issued, and then an alias summons (a new summons) has to be issued by the Court. The party can then use the sheriff for another attempt at service, or, they can ask the court to appoint a special process server, such as a private investigator or a detective, to effectuate service. These individuals tend to do a more thorough job of trying to serve someone. For example, if the person lives in a locked apartment building where you need permission to get up to the unit, a special process server will, most of the time, sit outside the residence and wait to try and serve the person, or try to gain access to the building. A sheriff has volumes to serve and may not have the capacity to spend a great deal of time trying to serve someone in a difficult service situation. A special process server may also ask for photographs of the person they are trying to serve, other identifiers as well as multiple places where they could be and on certain days, as well as at what time. Usually the special process server can serve the person, but they have to be appointed by the court first prior to any service attempts.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

What Is Child Support? Child support is the terminology used to describe the periodic or ongoing payments one parent makes to the other following a divorce to assist in raising their shared children. Child support is thus a combination of…

Wonder if your spousal maintenance is modifiable? This question was addressed in Scarp v. Rahman when the father in the case of sought to modify his maintenance obligation.  The trial court would not allow the modification so he sought an…

Birthdays are a big deal to kids - they usually get a party with their friends with cake, balloons, presents, and if they are lucky, a ball pit to jump into at Chucky Cheese! The day is all about them.…

Our firm represents a lot of military families and for the most part, handling a military divorce is just like any other divorce.  There are specific rules that need to be followed, however, and those parents in the military facing…

Changes to Spousal Maintenance Law in Illinois In 2019, a significant change in the tax code was made regarding maintenance, which resulted in spousal maintenance (formerly known as “alimony”, also known as “spousal support”) being tax-free to the recipient and…

Illinois has modified its statutes wherein parents are now allocated “parental responsibilities” and “parenting time” instead of “custody”.  The purpose of these changes was to try and give the parents less to fight over.  You can win “custody” but winning…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870