Anderson & Boback Logo

When Does Dissipation Start and The Impact of the 2016 Changes

Categorized as Property Division

Dissipation is defined as the misuse of marital sources by one party towards non-marital expenses.  The big question in dissipation cases, however, is how far back one can go in their dissipation claim.  According to the 2013 amendments, a party could not ask for more than 2 years prior to the time the marriage began undergoing an irreconcilable breakdown.  Case law later defined said “breakdown” as the time after the marriage has irretrievably or irreconcilably broken down.  In re the Marriage of O’Neill, 138 Ill. 2d 4877 (1990).  This allowed parties to pick a starting point and limited the period of time one could seek dissipation.

Recent amendments to the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act (IMDMA) changed the wording of the language in 750 ILCS 5/503 in regards to dissipation.  The new language now provides that one cannot claim dissipation for a period of more than 3 years after the party claiming dissipation knew or should have known of the dissipation, but in no event prior to 5  years before the filing of the petition for dissolution of marriage.  The statute also clarified that one cannot dissipate non-marital property.

However, the statute does not change current case law regarding the starting point of dissipation.  It simply extends the period of time that one could seek dissipation from 2 years after the breakdown to 3 years, but not prior to 5 years of the filing of the Petition for Dissolution of Marriage.  The statute was clearly trying to extend the period of time that one could seek dissipation but at the same time preventing abuse by parties whose marriage has been broken down for a significant period of time.  However, the law still remains that there cannot be any dissipation claims prior to the date that the parties’ marriage was irretrievably broken down. Thus, if the parties’ marriage broke down last year, they would only have one year of dissipation claim, regardless of any unauthorized expenses prior to that date.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

Wonder if your spousal maintenance is modifiable? This question was addressed in Scarp v. Rahman when the father in the case of sought to modify his maintenance obligation.  The trial court would not allow the modification so he sought an…

Birthdays are a big deal to kids - they usually get a party with their friends with cake, balloons, presents, and if they are lucky, a ball pit to jump into at Chucky Cheese! The day is all about them.…

Our firm represents a lot of military families and for the most part, handling a military divorce is just like any other divorce.  There are specific rules that need to be followed, however, and those parents in the military facing…

Changes to Spousal Maintenance Law in Illinois In 2019, a significant change in the tax code was made regarding maintenance, which resulted in spousal maintenance (formerly known as “alimony”, also known as “spousal support”) being tax-free to the recipient and…

Illinois has modified its statutes wherein parents are now allocated “parental responsibilities” and “parenting time” instead of “custody”.  The purpose of these changes was to try and give the parents less to fight over.  You can win “custody” but winning…

For Illinois parents that are no longer together or facing divorce, understanding the basics of child custody law is important. First, the term “custody” no longer exists in Illinois. The State of Illinois changed its laws regarding custody in 2016,…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870