Anderson & Boback Logo

When A Parent “Abducts” A Child

Categorized as Child Relocation

police car, top of the car

Can a biological parent abduct his or her own child? Does abduction only occur when there is a custody dispute or divorce? The answer is “yes” a biological parent can abduct his or her own child and, “no”, a custody dispute or divorce is not a necessary precursor.

A Chicago woman and her two sons, 9 and 11, were recently found “safe and unharmed” in Wisconsin after they were reported missing. Police say the mother abducted the boys and the family dog and then called her husband and said he’d “never see his boys again.”

The husband reported the case to the police and it was widely reported on the news. Nonetheless, an AMBER Alert was never issued. Chicago Police requested one but it was turned down by the Illinois State Police. The State Police spokeswoman said the case did not meet the criteria for an AMBER alert because the mother was both the boys’ biological mother and a custodial parent. So while the Chicago police considered it an abduction, the State of Illinois did not.

The five criteria for an AMBER Alert, as recommended by the U.S. Justice Department, are:

  •  There is reasonable belief by law enforcement that an abduction has occurred.
  •  The law enforcement agency believes that the child is in imminent danger of serious bodily injury or death.
  •  There is enough descriptive information about the victim and the abduction for law enforcement to issue an AMBER Alert to assist in the recovery of the child.
  • The abduction is of a child aged 17 years or younger.
  • The child’s name and other critical data elements, including the child abduction flag, have been entered into the National Crime Information Center system.

Presumably, the State of Illinois gives weight to the biological and custodial relationship in assessing whether an abduction actually occurred and there is imminent danger of serious injury. As a general rule, the biological/custodial relationship cannot shield a parent from being the subject of an AMBER Alert.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

A cohabitation agreement is an agreement or contract entered into between two people living together in the same household who are in a romantic relationship but not married. With more millennial couples choosing to live together, whether planning to marry…

When going through a divorce it's not uncommon to think "I never want to get married again!" But later, you may fall in love again and be ready to venture into marriage again. If you are planning to remarry, you…

While doing an initial consultation with an individual looking to get divorced, I have found it is common to get questions about whether it is possible for a divorcing couple to work together with an attorney to do a collaborative…

No one likes to pay spousal maintenance (formally called "alimony" or referred to as spousal support). When you are employed and your ex refuses to work, there is a greater reluctance to want to pay maintenance. In Chicago divorces, there…

Finding the best child custody lawyer in Chicago may seem like a daunting and intimidating process if you have never been involved in a legal dispute. This is especially true when it comes to a custody case involving your children…

Parenting disputes, and accusations of being a bad or unfit parent, are extremely common in the world of divorce, juvenile, and family law. Many parents enter the courtroom with a laundry list of accusations of poor parenting against the other…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Why Choose

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870