Anderson & Boback Logo

How Can I Enforce a Court Order Against My Ex?

Categorized as Illinois Divorce

If you are currently in the court process for any type of litigation, you may have noticed by now that just because a judge has ordered someone to do something does not mean that person will do it. This realization can be very frustrating for many people and can make settlement a lot more difficult.


Before you can enforce an Order, you must make sure that there is actually an Order that contains specific language regarding the action you want taken. Just because you are entitled to some sort of specific relief, such as child support or maintenance, does not mean that there is a violation if its not in a court Order. Secondly, the Order must be very clear and should have definitive language such as “shall” or “shall not”. If the Order merely states that a person “shall make all efforts” or other language that implies anything less than a direct action, a judge will likely not find someone in contempt of the Order.


Once you have an Order that has direct language that has been violated by the other party in the case, you will have to file a Petition for Rule to Show Cause or a Motion to Enforce the Court Order. A Petition for Rule to Show Cause is used when the language is clear and the violation is clear. In that scenario, a judge will “issue the rule”, and your opposing party will have to show cause why he/she violated the court order. In these cases, a judge will likely hold the person in contempt and set a “purge”, which is the amount the person will have to pay or the action they have to take, to get out of the contempt. Once the purge is complete, the contempt is removed and the “rule” is discharged. You will also be entitled to attorneys fees pursuant to 750 ILCS 5/508(b).


If the language is not clear or the violation is not clear, a judge will likely re-order the party to take the action, or modify the prior court order to make the action more feasible. One way to avoid having to return to court is to incorporate consequences into the court order. For example, you could state that if the person fails to pay by a certain date, a Notice of Withholding against their employer shall issue. Or, if a person does not give notice of their inability to exercise their court-ordered visitation, they have to pay for the babysitter for that time.


It is always the hope that litigants will comply with court orders the first time around, and for the most part, most litigants do comply. If you are one of the few

dealing with a complicated Ex-spouse, talk to a lawyer about how to navigate the process of enforcing your court order.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

When a couple is considering a divorce, oftentimes there is a discussion about the house and who will live there during the divorce process.  Whether it is rented or purchased, some people decide that they would like to remain living…

Typically, you’d want to avoid a default when you are going through a divorce in Chicago because if not, then the way your marital estate is divided is out of your hands. Recently a client hired us to help her…

Spousal support is often a contentious issue in marriages that are substantial in length, where one spouse has outearned the other spouse.  Spousal support (formerly called alimony and often referred to as maintenance) is the payment of money from one…

There is a lot of disagreement about vaccinations for children and the argument between parents with differing views on this subject is not a new one.  Illinois family law attorneys representing parents in this type of disagreement have worked throughout…

There are many things that parents do when they are going through a separation from a partner or a divorce where a parent could lose custody - or impact their rights to make decisions for their minor children going forward,…

In my experience as a Chicago divorce attorney, when it comes to which spouse initiates a divorce in a marriage it is more often the wife.  Of course, there are plenty of husbands who file for divorce but in a…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Why Choose

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870