Anderson & Boback Logo

How to Avoid a Default Judgment

Categorized as Illinois Divorce

When a  divorce or family law case is initially filed with the court, the filing party must provide the other party with notice. This is called Service of Process. This is done by serving the other party with a Summons and a copy of the document that was filed. (Example: Petition for Dissolution of Marriage). A Summons is an official notice that a legal proceeding was filed and that you are a named party. The Summons states what type of proceeding has been filed. The Summons explains that you must file a written Appearance and an Answer in the Circuit Clerk’s Office within a certain number of days, often within thirty (30) days. Under most circumstances, the Sheriff’s Department or a private process server will serve the Summons, along with the document that was filed. It is common for service attempts to be made at a party’s residence or at their place of employment. Service of Process is completed when the server hands the Summons and the filed document to the other party. Service of Process is also completed when the server hands the Summons and filed document to someone who lives in the party’s home, as long as the recipient is over the age of thirteen (13).

It is crucial that you file your written Appearance and Answer by the deadline, so that the Court knows you are participating in the legal proceedings. Do not ignore the fact that you have been served. The clock is now ticking. If you do not file your Appearance and Answer by the deadline then the filing party is able to motion the Court for relief by asking for the entry of a Default Judgment.


Although it may be possible to vacate a Default Judgment after its entry, it is highly recommended that you avoid getting into this situation altogether. Judges are not impressed when court proceedings are ignored and without valid justification, it is unlikely that a Judge would grant a request to vacate a Default Judgment. The best way to avoid this uphill battle is to simply file your written Appearance and Answer in a timely manner. Be proactive and protect yourself.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

When going through a divorce it's not uncommon to think "I never want to get married again!" But later, you may fall in love again and be ready to venture into marriage again. If you are planning to remarry, you…

While doing an initial consultation with an individual looking to get divorced, I have found it is common to get questions about whether it is possible for a divorcing couple to work together with an attorney to do a collaborative…

No one likes to pay spousal maintenance (formally called "alimony" or referred to as spousal support). When you are employed and your ex refuses to work, there is a greater reluctance to want to pay maintenance. In Chicago divorces, there…

Finding the best child custody lawyer in Chicago may seem like a daunting and intimidating process if you have never been involved in a legal dispute. This is especially true when it comes to a custody case involving your children…

Parenting disputes, and accusations of being a bad or unfit parent, are extremely common in the world of divorce, juvenile, and family law. Many parents enter the courtroom with a laundry list of accusations of poor parenting against the other…

Unfortunately, there are many negative connotations when it comes to the word “divorce.” Maybe you have personally went through a divorce in the past or maybe you know someone who has. When people think of divorce, it is not uncommon…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Why Choose

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870