Anderson & Boback Logo

Is My Adult Disabled Child Entitled To Financial Support From My Ex?

Categorized as Child Support, Illinois Family Law

The answer is – it depends. The recent revisions to the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act (IMDMA) has now segregated this provision into its own section (750 ILCS 5/513.5) and specifically allows for the support of a disabled non-minor child.

Section 513.5 allows a parent to file a motion asking for the support for a disabled child either before or after the majority of the child, but the condition creating the disability must have arisen during the child’s minority or while attending college. The statute also specifically defines a disabled person as an individual “who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits a major life activity, has a record of such an impairment, or is regarded as having such an impairment.”

The statute also specifically states out three factors to consider in awarding support under this section. Specifically, a court is to consider:

a. the present and future financial resources of the parents including their respective ability to save for retirement.

b. the standard of living the child would have enjoyed had the marriage not dissolved, along with any other equitable factors; and

c. resources of the child including any financial or other governmental or social service resources provided for the child.

As a result, even though a spouse may be liable for the continued support of a disabled non-minor child, that obligation may be little to nothing depending on the income of the parties and the size of their 401(k), the resources already provided by the government, and the standard of living enjoyed by the child during the marriage. There is no formula that would calculate the amount of support as there is with child support. The judge will likely have to review both parties financial disclosure statements and decide on what support, if any, to award the adult disabled child.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

A cohabitation agreement is an agreement or contract entered into between two people living together in the same household who are in a romantic relationship but not married. With more millennial couples choosing to live together, whether planning to marry…

When going through a divorce it's not uncommon to think "I never want to get married again!" But later, you may fall in love again and be ready to venture into marriage again. If you are planning to remarry, you…

While doing an initial consultation with an individual looking to get divorced, I have found it is common to get questions about whether it is possible for a divorcing couple to work together with an attorney to do a collaborative…

No one likes to pay spousal maintenance (formally called "alimony" or referred to as spousal support). When you are employed and your ex refuses to work, there is a greater reluctance to want to pay maintenance. In Chicago divorces, there…

Finding the best child custody lawyer in Chicago may seem like a daunting and intimidating process if you have never been involved in a legal dispute. This is especially true when it comes to a custody case involving your children…

Parenting disputes, and accusations of being a bad or unfit parent, are extremely common in the world of divorce, juvenile, and family law. Many parents enter the courtroom with a laundry list of accusations of poor parenting against the other…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Why Choose

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870