Anderson & Boback Logo

When Does Dissipation Start and The Impact of the 2016 Changes

Categorized as Property Division

Dissipation is defined as the misuse of marital sources by one party towards non-marital expenses.  The big question in dissipation cases, however, is how far back one can go in their dissipation claim.  According to the 2013 amendments, a party could not ask for more than 2 years prior to the time the marriage began undergoing an irreconcilable breakdown.  Case law later defined said “breakdown” as the time after the marriage has irretrievably or irreconcilably broken down.  In re the Marriage of O’Neill, 138 Ill. 2d 4877 (1990).  This allowed parties to pick a starting point and limited the period of time one could seek dissipation.

Recent amendments to the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act (IMDMA) changed the wording of the language in 750 ILCS 5/503 in regards to dissipation.  The new language now provides that one cannot claim dissipation for a period of more than 3 years after the party claiming dissipation knew or should have known of the dissipation, but in no event prior to 5  years before the filing of the petition for dissolution of marriage.  The statute also clarified that one cannot dissipate non-marital property.

However, the statute does not change current case law regarding the starting point of dissipation.  It simply extends the period of time that one could seek dissipation from 2 years after the breakdown to 3 years, but not prior to 5 years of the filing of the Petition for Dissolution of Marriage.  The statute was clearly trying to extend the period of time that one could seek dissipation but at the same time preventing abuse by parties whose marriage has been broken down for a significant period of time.  However, the law still remains that there cannot be any dissipation claims prior to the date that the parties’ marriage was irretrievably broken down. Thus, if the parties’ marriage broke down last year, they would only have one year of dissipation claim, regardless of any unauthorized expenses prior to that date.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

A cohabitation agreement is an agreement or contract entered into between two people living together in the same household who are in a romantic relationship but not married. With more millennial couples choosing to live together, whether planning to marry…

When going through a divorce it's not uncommon to think "I never want to get married again!" But later, you may fall in love again and be ready to venture into marriage again. If you are planning to remarry, you…

While doing an initial consultation with an individual looking to get divorced, I have found it is common to get questions about whether it is possible for a divorcing couple to work together with an attorney to do a collaborative…

No one likes to pay spousal maintenance (formally called "alimony" or referred to as spousal support). When you are employed and your ex refuses to work, there is a greater reluctance to want to pay maintenance. In Chicago divorces, there…

Finding the best child custody lawyer in Chicago may seem like a daunting and intimidating process if you have never been involved in a legal dispute. This is especially true when it comes to a custody case involving your children…

Parenting disputes, and accusations of being a bad or unfit parent, are extremely common in the world of divorce, juvenile, and family law. Many parents enter the courtroom with a laundry list of accusations of poor parenting against the other…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Why Choose

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870