Anderson & Boback Logo

Appellate Court Requires Spouses to “Level the Playing Field” When Paying for the Attorneys

Categorized as Illinois Divorce

If you are in a divorce proceeding, you’ll likely hear the term “leveling the playing field” if there are discussions regarding who pays the attorneys fees in your case.

The law provides that one party should not be able to “out spend” the other when hiring an attorney. So if your spouse spends $10,000 on an attorney, then the law says that you should also be allowed $10,000 to pay your attorney. But what happens if neither party has any money, and only one of you is able to borrow money from family? What happens when one party has access to money and the other does not?

The Appellate Court in In re the Marriage of Earlywine decided that very issue. In that case, neither part had enough money to hire an attorney. The husband, James Earlywine, was able to borrow over $8,000.00 from his parents , and that money was paid to his attorney. His wife filed a petition for attorney’s fees, and asked the Court to give her one-half of the money that was paid to her husband’s attorney.

The trial court ordered James to give his wife $4,000.00. On appeal, the Appellate court considered the statute designed to achieve “substantial parity between the parties,” and agreed with the trial court. It was not fair, reasoned the court, that one party would have access to funds to litigate the case and the other did not. So if one side has access to funds, such as a loan, then in order to level the playing field, it must be divided with the other party.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

Maintenance, formerly known as alimony, is a relief granted to a party in a dissolution of marriage case that equitably restores to the party a standard of living to which they became acclimated during the marriage.  For spouses going through…

Visitation interference occurs when the custodial parent in some way interferes with your ability to spend parenting time with your child or visit with them.  In Illinois, a parent has a couple of options when the other parent interferes with…

We receive inquiries regularly from parents of children in Illinois regarding whether or not they can remove their child from the state of Illinois when they are estranged from their child’s other parent.  The answer varies, depending on different situations.…

People often are confused about the difference between a Civil Union and a Domestic Partnership, and what their rights are if their partner, to whom they are not married, leaves them or predeceases them.  This blog is designed to explain…

One of the most hot-button terms in parenting cases in Cook County is “alienation”, meaning that one parent is actively seeking to keep the child from having a relationship with their other parents. The current laws on parenting favor both…

In Illinois, there are two main ways to go about changing your minor child’s name: by agreement, and by Court adjudication of the issue.  As with all things related to co-parenting a minor child, the easiest and least costly method…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870