Anderson & Boback Logo

Have You Been Caught Cheating?

Categorized as Property Division

When a spouse catches his or her mate cheating they often want him or her to pay, literally. However, it’s a common misconception that the non-cheating spouse will be financially compensated as a result of the cheating spouse’s misconduct.

Illinois is a “no fault” state meaning that it is not necessary for the spouse seeking a divorce to prove that the other spouse is at fault for the breakdown of the marriage (e.g.  for committing adultery, mental cruelty, or physical abuse). Illinois only requires that “irreconcilable differences have caused an irretrievable breakdown of the marriage and future efforts at reconciliation are impracticable and not in the best interest of the family.”  As a result, adultery alone cannot be considered in the division of property or in awards of maintenance (alimony).
The only part of Illinois law that allows the Court to consider adultery in the division of property is where the cheating spouse has dissipated marital funds. Dissipation is the use of marital funds for the benefit of one spouse for a purpose unrelated to the marriage at the time the marriage is undergoing an irreconcilable breakdown. For example, if a husband bought a $5,000 ring for his girlfriend when the marriage was undergoing a breakdown, the wife may have a claim of dissipation. She would argue that the husband should reimburse her $5,000 in the final allocation of property.

Dissipation is not only limited to adultery.  Courts have found dissipation where marital funds have been spent on alcohol and drugs, gambling, and transferring of funds to third-party accounts. Investigating these claims can be costly and there are time restraints on when they can be filed. These are important considerations to discuss with your lawyer if you think you may have a viable claim.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

Maintenance, formerly known as alimony, is a relief granted to a party in a dissolution of marriage case that equitably restores to the party a standard of living to which they became acclimated during the marriage.  For spouses going through…

Visitation interference occurs when the custodial parent in some way interferes with your ability to spend parenting time with your child or visit with them.  In Illinois, a parent has a couple of options when the other parent interferes with…

We receive inquiries regularly from parents of children in Illinois regarding whether or not they can remove their child from the state of Illinois when they are estranged from their child’s other parent.  The answer varies, depending on different situations.…

People often are confused about the difference between a Civil Union and a Domestic Partnership, and what their rights are if their partner, to whom they are not married, leaves them or predeceases them.  This blog is designed to explain…

One of the most hot-button terms in parenting cases in Cook County is “alienation”, meaning that one parent is actively seeking to keep the child from having a relationship with their other parents. The current laws on parenting favor both…

In Illinois, there are two main ways to go about changing your minor child’s name: by agreement, and by Court adjudication of the issue.  As with all things related to co-parenting a minor child, the easiest and least costly method…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870