Anderson & Boback Logo

Collecting Past Due Child Support

Categorized as Child Support

An issue that often arises after the parties have been divorced is past due child support. Oftentimes, the party obligated to pay support will fall behind on their payments. In order to collect, the party owed support must bring the case back to court. This can be a costly procedure, which is why some parties will wait to bring their case back to court. However, what happens if the party waits to collect on past due child support? Will the party waive their right to collect on the past due support?

This may surprise some people, but past due child support can be collected at any time – even after the child becomes an adult. Prior to 1997, the law stated that a party to collect their past due support within twenty years of the time it was due. If the party waited over twenty years to collect the past due child support, then they waived their right to collect. However, on July 1, 1997, Section 12-108 of the Illinois Code of Civil Procedure was enacted. Section 12-108 of the Illinois Code of Civil Procedure provides that “Child support judgments, including those arising by operation of law, may be enforced at any time.” What this means is, a party owed past due child support can collect that support even if they wait over twenty years to collect. In fact, some courts have awarded past due child support twenty-six years after the child support was owed.

Anderson & Boback is involved in a case where the party owing support failed to pay our client child support for over forty years. This case is currently before the First District Appellate Court to determine whether our client may collect this past due support despite the forty year lapse in time. Janice L. Boback will argue this matter before the First District Appellate Court on November 14, 2013. If you feel you are owed past due child support, feel free to contact our office for a consultation.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

The legal term “best interests” is a concept that comes up in almost all child-related areas of family law. When making essentially any decision on behalf of a child, the court is going to look at what is best for…

Maintenance, formerly known as alimony, is a relief granted to a party in a dissolution of marriage case that equitably restores to the party a standard of living to which they became acclimated during the marriage.  For spouses going through…

Visitation interference occurs when the custodial parent in some way interferes with your ability to spend parenting time with your child or visit with them.  In Illinois, a parent has a couple of options when the other parent interferes with…

We receive inquiries regularly from parents of children in Illinois regarding whether or not they can remove their child from the state of Illinois when they are estranged from their child’s other parent.  The answer varies, depending on different situations.…

People often are confused about the difference between a Civil Union and a Domestic Partnership, and what their rights are if their partner, to whom they are not married, leaves them or predeceases them.  This blog is designed to explain…

One of the most hot-button terms in parenting cases in Cook County is “alienation”, meaning that one parent is actively seeking to keep the child from having a relationship with their other parents. The current laws on parenting favor both…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870