Anderson & Boback Logo

Contacting Insurance Companies for Your Children 

Categorized as Illinois Divorce

When parties divorce, they typically have to obtain their own health insurance.  This often means that at least one of the parents is no longer on the same health insurance plan as their child/children.  This can be very confusing, because parties become afraid that if the minor child is not on their specific health insurance plan, that they won’t have access to their minor child’s health insurance information.  For a primary caretaker, that is a scary thought, as they are typically the person who is in touch with the insurance company for processing of claims, determining which providers are in network, and the like.  However, in divorce proceedings, there is a way to ensure that the health insurance company can communicate with the primary caretaker, through a “Qualified Medical Child Support Order” or, a “QMCSO”.

A QMCSO designates the party who is not on the same insurance plan as their minor child/children as their “agent” for the purpose of communicating with the health insurance company.  This allows the non-insured parent to contact the health insurance company on behalf of the minor children, for many different tasks, and closes the communication gap between the primary caretaker and the health insurance company.  QMCSO’s can also significantly cut down how often the two parents have to communicate, which can help keep the parties out of court in the future, and for that reason alone, it is a great tool.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

Maintenance, formerly known as alimony, is a relief granted to a party in a dissolution of marriage case that equitably restores to the party a standard of living to which they became acclimated during the marriage.  For spouses going through…

Visitation interference occurs when the custodial parent in some way interferes with your ability to spend parenting time with your child or visit with them.  In Illinois, a parent has a couple of options when the other parent interferes with…

We receive inquiries regularly from parents of children in Illinois regarding whether or not they can remove their child from the state of Illinois when they are estranged from their child’s other parent.  The answer varies, depending on different situations.…

People often are confused about the difference between a Civil Union and a Domestic Partnership, and what their rights are if their partner, to whom they are not married, leaves them or predeceases them.  This blog is designed to explain…

One of the most hot-button terms in parenting cases in Cook County is “alienation”, meaning that one parent is actively seeking to keep the child from having a relationship with their other parents. The current laws on parenting favor both…

In Illinois, there are two main ways to go about changing your minor child’s name: by agreement, and by Court adjudication of the issue.  As with all things related to co-parenting a minor child, the easiest and least costly method…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870