Anderson & Boback Logo

Corporal Punishment in Illinois

Categorized as Illinois Family Law

The issue of child discipline has been a hotly debated topic for centuries and varies in response depending on the person’s cultural background. In most cultures, spanking is an acceptable and encouraged form of discipline. The point of contention has been, however, the form and extent of the spanking.

Pursuant to Illinois law, it is considered child abuse if a parent inflicts “excessive corporal punishment” on his or her child. In other words, corporal punishment is allowed so long as it is not “excessive”. But what exactly qualifies as “excessive”? Corporal punishment could mean spanking, hitting, slapping, pinching and could range from a light spanking on the butt to severe whips across the back leaving visible marks. The standard by which a judge will rank the extent of corporal punishment is “reasonableness”. The problem with this standard, however, is that what may be reasonable in Chicago may not be reasonable in a small rural town in southern Illinois. There are differences even within Chicago depending on the person’s economic and cultural background. As such, how can one judge determine what standard is “reasonable” or “excessive”?

Although there are no direct answers within the law itself, there is case law that seems to hint that light spanking on the butt of a younger child leaving no marks and not done out of anger is acceptable, and any form of discipline that involves the use of a weapon, i.e. a belt, a spoon or a shoe, that leaves visible marks on the child’s body, is excessive. Within these two extremes you will see very different fact patterns that are hard to define exactly. The outcome will depend on the judge or jury’s background with defined notions of what kind of corporal punishment is acceptable, and your attorney’s ability to properly convey to the judge that the discipline either was or was not excessive.

If this is your situation or if you have any other questions regarding corporal punishment laws in Illinois, talk to an experienced attorney that can help.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

Maintenance, formerly known as alimony, is a relief granted to a party in a dissolution of marriage case that equitably restores to the party a standard of living to which they became acclimated during the marriage.  For spouses going through…

Visitation interference occurs when the custodial parent in some way interferes with your ability to spend parenting time with your child or visit with them.  In Illinois, a parent has a couple of options when the other parent interferes with…

We receive inquiries regularly from parents of children in Illinois regarding whether or not they can remove their child from the state of Illinois when they are estranged from their child’s other parent.  The answer varies, depending on different situations.…

People often are confused about the difference between a Civil Union and a Domestic Partnership, and what their rights are if their partner, to whom they are not married, leaves them or predeceases them.  This blog is designed to explain…

One of the most hot-button terms in parenting cases in Cook County is “alienation”, meaning that one parent is actively seeking to keep the child from having a relationship with their other parents. The current laws on parenting favor both…

In Illinois, there are two main ways to go about changing your minor child’s name: by agreement, and by Court adjudication of the issue.  As with all things related to co-parenting a minor child, the easiest and least costly method…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870