Anderson & Boback Logo

How Can I Enforce a Court Order Against My Ex?

Categorized as Illinois Divorce

If you are currently in the court process for any type of litigation, you may have noticed by now that just because a judge has ordered someone to do something does not mean that person will do it. This realization can be very frustrating for many people and can make settlement a lot more difficult.


Before you can enforce an Order, you must make sure that there is actually an Order that contains specific language regarding the action you want taken. Just because you are entitled to some sort of specific relief, such as child support or maintenance, does not mean that there is a violation if its not in a court Order. Secondly, the Order must be very clear and should have definitive language such as “shall” or “shall not”. If the Order merely states that a person “shall make all efforts” or other language that implies anything less than a direct action, a judge will likely not find someone in contempt of the Order.


Once you have an Order that has direct language that has been violated by the other party in the case, you will have to file a Petition for Rule to Show Cause or a Motion to Enforce the Court Order. A Petition for Rule to Show Cause is used when the language is clear and the violation is clear. In that scenario, a judge will “issue the rule”, and your opposing party will have to show cause why he/she violated the court order. In these cases, a judge will likely hold the person in contempt and set a “purge”, which is the amount the person will have to pay or the action they have to take, to get out of the contempt. Once the purge is complete, the contempt is removed and the “rule” is discharged. You will also be entitled to attorneys fees pursuant to 750 ILCS 5/508(b).


If the language is not clear or the violation is not clear, a judge will likely re-order the party to take the action, or modify the prior court order to make the action more feasible. One way to avoid having to return to court is to incorporate consequences into the court order. For example, you could state that if the person fails to pay by a certain date, a Notice of Withholding against their employer shall issue. Or, if a person does not give notice of their inability to exercise their court-ordered visitation, they have to pay for the babysitter for that time.


It is always the hope that litigants will comply with court orders the first time around, and for the most part, most litigants do comply. If you are one of the few

dealing with a complicated Ex-spouse, talk to a lawyer about how to navigate the process of enforcing your court order.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

Maintenance, formerly known as alimony, is a relief granted to a party in a dissolution of marriage case that equitably restores to the party a standard of living to which they became acclimated during the marriage.  For spouses going through…

Visitation interference occurs when the custodial parent in some way interferes with your ability to spend parenting time with your child or visit with them.  In Illinois, a parent has a couple of options when the other parent interferes with…

We receive inquiries regularly from parents of children in Illinois regarding whether or not they can remove their child from the state of Illinois when they are estranged from their child’s other parent.  The answer varies, depending on different situations.…

People often are confused about the difference between a Civil Union and a Domestic Partnership, and what their rights are if their partner, to whom they are not married, leaves them or predeceases them.  This blog is designed to explain…

One of the most hot-button terms in parenting cases in Cook County is “alienation”, meaning that one parent is actively seeking to keep the child from having a relationship with their other parents. The current laws on parenting favor both…

In Illinois, there are two main ways to go about changing your minor child’s name: by agreement, and by Court adjudication of the issue.  As with all things related to co-parenting a minor child, the easiest and least costly method…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870