Anderson & Boback Logo

How Do I Prove That My Spouse Makes More Money Than He Says He Does?

Categorized as Spousal Support

We hear this question a lot. In most cases, spouses know intimate details about each other’s lives, including but not limited to their finances. As a result, most spouses know that what a spouse declares on his or her income tax returns is often times fibbed. However, in a court of law, the Judge will primarily rely on that party’s paystubs and tax returns. So what can you do to show a Judge that your spouse brings in more money than he or she says she does? For one, a Judge will require that you fill out a financial disclosure statement that will require you to list not only your income but also your expenses. If you allegedly make $3,000 a month but spend an average of $7,000 a month, a Judge will likely inquire where you are getting the extra $4,000 to meet your expenses on a daily basis. The other way you can prove that a party makes more money is by sending subpoenas to the party’s bank accounts to obtain statements that show large purchases and an extravagant lifestyle. The bank statements can also show the amount of deposits made on a monthly basis which can be used to show that your ex is either making money on the side or gets cash payouts from his job that allow him to lead an extravagant lifestyle. The spouse can also testify to their standard of living and his/her knowledge of how much money the other spouse actually made on a monthly basis. In some scenarios, all of the income is actually accounted for, but as a self-employee, the party likely deducts a significant amount of his expenses as business expenses, thus lowering his personal net income that is used to calculate child support and maintenance. Although business expenses can be legitimate expenses that a Judge will allow to be deducted as business expenses, a court can also refuse to deduct expenses that he/she deems more of a personal expense than a business expense, such as a cell phone or car payment. In the end, it will all come down to the amount of time and expense you are willing to put in to prove your spouse’s true income. If the difference is significant, then you will need to contact an attorney to help you with the discovery process and the gathering of relevant information to prove your case.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

Wonder if your spousal maintenance is modifiable? This question was addressed in Scarp v. Rahman when the father in the case of sought to modify his maintenance obligation.  The trial court would not allow the modification so he sought an…

Birthdays are a big deal to kids - they usually get a party with their friends with cake, balloons, presents, and if they are lucky, a ball pit to jump into at Chucky Cheese! The day is all about them.…

Our firm represents a lot of military families and for the most part, handling a military divorce is just like any other divorce.  There are specific rules that need to be followed, however, and those parents in the military facing…

Changes to Spousal Maintenance Law in Illinois In 2019, a significant change in the tax code was made regarding maintenance, which resulted in spousal maintenance (formerly known as “alimony”, also known as “spousal support”) being tax-free to the recipient and…

Illinois has modified its statutes wherein parents are now allocated “parental responsibilities” and “parenting time” instead of “custody”.  The purpose of these changes was to try and give the parents less to fight over.  You can win “custody” but winning…

For Illinois parents that are no longer together or facing divorce, understanding the basics of child custody law is important. First, the term “custody” no longer exists in Illinois. The State of Illinois changed its laws regarding custody in 2016,…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870