Anderson & Boback Logo

Is My Adult Disabled Child Entitled To Financial Support From My Ex?

Categorized as Child Support, Illinois Family Law

The answer is – it depends. The recent revisions to the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act (IMDMA) has now segregated this provision into its own section (750 ILCS 5/513.5) and specifically allows for the support of a disabled non-minor child.

Section 513.5 allows a parent to file a motion asking for the support for a disabled child either before or after the majority of the child, but the condition creating the disability must have arisen during the child’s minority or while attending college. The statute also specifically defines a disabled person as an individual “who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits a major life activity, has a record of such an impairment, or is regarded as having such an impairment.”

The statute also specifically states out three factors to consider in awarding support under this section. Specifically, a court is to consider:

a. the present and future financial resources of the parents including their respective ability to save for retirement.

b. the standard of living the child would have enjoyed had the marriage not dissolved, along with any other equitable factors; and

c. resources of the child including any financial or other governmental or social service resources provided for the child.

As a result, even though a spouse may be liable for the continued support of a disabled non-minor child, that obligation may be little to nothing depending on the income of the parties and the size of their 401(k), the resources already provided by the government, and the standard of living enjoyed by the child during the marriage. There is no formula that would calculate the amount of support as there is with child support. The judge will likely have to review both parties financial disclosure statements and decide on what support, if any, to award the adult disabled child.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

The legal term “best interests” is a concept that comes up in almost all child-related areas of family law. When making essentially any decision on behalf of a child, the court is going to look at what is best for…

Maintenance, formerly known as alimony, is a relief granted to a party in a dissolution of marriage case that equitably restores to the party a standard of living to which they became acclimated during the marriage.  For spouses going through…

Visitation interference occurs when the custodial parent in some way interferes with your ability to spend parenting time with your child or visit with them.  In Illinois, a parent has a couple of options when the other parent interferes with…

We receive inquiries regularly from parents of children in Illinois regarding whether or not they can remove their child from the state of Illinois when they are estranged from their child’s other parent.  The answer varies, depending on different situations.…

People often are confused about the difference between a Civil Union and a Domestic Partnership, and what their rights are if their partner, to whom they are not married, leaves them or predeceases them.  This blog is designed to explain…

One of the most hot-button terms in parenting cases in Cook County is “alienation”, meaning that one parent is actively seeking to keep the child from having a relationship with their other parents. The current laws on parenting favor both…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870