Anderson & Boback Logo

Get Changes to Agreements Signed by the Judge

Categorized as Child Support Modification

After child support has been set, it is not uncommon for the parent receiving child support to request an increase in support years later when the child(ren)’s needs have changed.  Some ex-spouses may resolve to avoid working with lawyers and going to court and try work out an agreement on their own.

As a general rule of law, in Illinois, parents seeking to modify a child support order should always seek the court’s assistance and enter a court order reflecting the change in child support. Even if the ex-spouses are on the most amicable of terms, the terms of the agreement are fair and reasonable, and the agreement to change child support is reduced to a writing signed by both parties, the court may not recognize the modification as valid and enforceable.

For example, in a current case, the ex-wife wrote a letter to the ex-husband more than 13 years ago and proposed that he pay an increase in child support. In exchange, she agreed that she wouldn’t pursue an action in court against him for an increase in child support. The ex-husband agreed and paid the ex-wife an increase in child support for several years per the proposal. Thirteen years later, the ex-wife filed an action against the ex-husband claiming that she was entitled to an even larger increase in child support. The ex-husband argued that the ex-wife couldn’t get an increase because she agreed to modify the child support via her letter.

The court has yet to decide if the agreement between the parties is an enforceable modification. However, if the terms of the agreement has been reduced to a court order, the ex-husband would have protected.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

Wonder if your spousal maintenance is modifiable? This question was addressed in Scarp v. Rahman when the father in the case of sought to modify his maintenance obligation.  The trial court would not allow the modification so he sought an…

Birthdays are a big deal to kids - they usually get a party with their friends with cake, balloons, presents, and if they are lucky, a ball pit to jump into at Chucky Cheese! The day is all about them.…

Our firm represents a lot of military families and for the most part, handling a military divorce is just like any other divorce.  There are specific rules that need to be followed, however, and those parents in the military facing…

Changes to Spousal Maintenance Law in Illinois In 2019, a significant change in the tax code was made regarding maintenance, which resulted in spousal maintenance (formerly known as “alimony”, also known as “spousal support”) being tax-free to the recipient and…

Illinois has modified its statutes wherein parents are now allocated “parental responsibilities” and “parenting time” instead of “custody”.  The purpose of these changes was to try and give the parents less to fight over.  You can win “custody” but winning…

For Illinois parents that are no longer together or facing divorce, understanding the basics of child custody law is important. First, the term “custody” no longer exists in Illinois. The State of Illinois changed its laws regarding custody in 2016,…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870