Anderson & Boback Logo
questions about modifying child support

Modifying Child Support: Top 4 Questions Answered

Categorized as Child Support, Child Support Modification

QUESTION: My ex has relocated more than 25 miles away with our minor children. Is there a basis for modifying child support?

ANSWER: Possibly There are definitely arguments to be made in regard to modifying child support when there is parent relocation, but it depends on the unique factors of the case. For example, if the transportation costs for parenting time escalate, that could be a basis to modify support. If a parent who previously had to drive across town to have parenting time with their children now has to fly to a different state or spend a significant amount of time driving, resulting in increased transportation expenses, it is arguable that child support should be modified. Typically, this depends on the distance between the parties after relocation as well as before the relocation. Conversely, a parent who moves further away from their children and then has to incur additional expenses to travel to see their children may not have a basis to modify support, as they chose to move further away. However, no results can ever be guaranteed, it is entirely situational.

QUESTION: My ex’s income has gone up. How will this impact child support?

ANSWER:  Possibly. Under the new Illinois statute, this may be considered a substantial change in circumstances where modifying child support modification is possible depending upon how much the spouse was earning before their income went up. Under the new statute, both spouse’s incomes are considered in the child support calculation. So, it is always best to run the child support figures under the new statute with the new income amounts to see if there is, in fact, a substantial change in circumstances, prior to filing. This is the best way to see if there is, in fact, a basis to modify support, because the results can be surprising. The new statute considers how much parenting time as well as both parties’ income and is an entirely different calculation than the formula which was in place prior, which was a straight percentage order.

QUESTION: Can I ask for my ex to contribute to health insurance premiums for our minor children?

ANSWER: Yes. Child support is modifiable at any time in most cases, so at any point, someone can bring a motion for contribution to the minor children’s expenses. Health insurance is built into the new statute and the way the calculation works, health insurance can be awarded based upon the parties’ income percentages. Under the old law, if the obligor parent paid the child’s health insurance premium, they could use it as a deduction when calculating child support. This is treated slightly differently than it was before.

QUESTION: I quit my job and took a new job where I am earning less money. Can I modify my child support obligation?

ANSWER: This depends. The circumstances under which the last job was lost can change how a Court would view this situation. If the job change resulted in a reduction in income, which was voluntary and for the purpose of reducing support, the Court is less inclined to modify the support obligation. When modifying child support is at issue, the circumstances for quitting a job are relevant and can change the Court’s opinion.

Anderson & Boback are dedicated to helping you make the best decisions by explaining all your options and taking the necessary action to protect you and your child’s interests.  Contact us today for a confidential consultation to learn more about modifying child support.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

Wonder if your spousal maintenance is modifiable? This question was addressed in Scarp v. Rahman when the father in the case of sought to modify his maintenance obligation.  The trial court would not allow the modification so he sought an…

Birthdays are a big deal to kids - they usually get a party with their friends with cake, balloons, presents, and if they are lucky, a ball pit to jump into at Chucky Cheese! The day is all about them.…

Our firm represents a lot of military families and for the most part, handling a military divorce is just like any other divorce.  There are specific rules that need to be followed, however, and those parents in the military facing…

Changes to Spousal Maintenance Law in Illinois In 2019, a significant change in the tax code was made regarding maintenance, which resulted in spousal maintenance (formerly known as “alimony”, also known as “spousal support”) being tax-free to the recipient and…

Illinois has modified its statutes wherein parents are now allocated “parental responsibilities” and “parenting time” instead of “custody”.  The purpose of these changes was to try and give the parents less to fight over.  You can win “custody” but winning…

For Illinois parents that are no longer together or facing divorce, understanding the basics of child custody law is important. First, the term “custody” no longer exists in Illinois. The State of Illinois changed its laws regarding custody in 2016,…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870