Anderson & Boback Logo

Mother Interferes with Father’s Parenting Time With Son But Not Held in Contempt

Categorized as Child Custody & Visitation

We hear about it all the time… Custodial parents interfere with the other parent’s ability to see their children. The only real recourse is to bring it before the court and seek a contempt finding. We counsel our clients that this is the only way to get the custodial parent’s attention. Sometimes it works, but in a recent case, despite the father’s efforts, he still was not granted relief.

The father in the case of McCormick complained about his missed parenting time with his sons. He filed a contempt petition, informing the court that he had missed 43 visits. The father sought to hold his ex-wife in contempt because she would allow the boys to do just about anything before she’d honor the parenting agreement. If the boys had a sleepover with friends, they did that instead of seeing their father. If the boys had football practice, they would do that instead of seeing their father. The list went on and on.

The ex-wife argued that she tried to get the boys to the visits, but often they didn’t want to go because the visit interfered with other things that they wanted to do. She didn’t want to fight with them, so she essentially allowed them to miss the visits. The mother testified that she did not believe she acted willfully and that she tried to get the children to visit. The trial court stated that the mother had made some technical mistakes, but found that the children missed visits due to their own willfulness. Therefore, the Court refused to hold her in contempt.

Although the father lost in his appeal, the Appellate Court did state that the mother now knows that she cannot put the children’s activities in front of the father’s parenting time. Any new violations by the mother may be considered contumacious since she can no longer claim that she was unaware that her behavior could hold her in contempt.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

Maintenance, formerly known as alimony, is a relief granted to a party in a dissolution of marriage case that equitably restores to the party a standard of living to which they became acclimated during the marriage.  For spouses going through…

Visitation interference occurs when the custodial parent in some way interferes with your ability to spend parenting time with your child or visit with them.  In Illinois, a parent has a couple of options when the other parent interferes with…

We receive inquiries regularly from parents of children in Illinois regarding whether or not they can remove their child from the state of Illinois when they are estranged from their child’s other parent.  The answer varies, depending on different situations.…

People often are confused about the difference between a Civil Union and a Domestic Partnership, and what their rights are if their partner, to whom they are not married, leaves them or predeceases them.  This blog is designed to explain…

One of the most hot-button terms in parenting cases in Cook County is “alienation”, meaning that one parent is actively seeking to keep the child from having a relationship with their other parents. The current laws on parenting favor both…

In Illinois, there are two main ways to go about changing your minor child’s name: by agreement, and by Court adjudication of the issue.  As with all things related to co-parenting a minor child, the easiest and least costly method…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870