Anderson & Boback Logo

My Spouse Did Not Return the Kids On Time-Should I Call the Police?

Categorized as Child Custody

Divorcing spouses fighting over custody may ask this question of their lawyer at some point during or after their divorce when the other parent does not comply with the parenting schedule. The schedule may have been set forth in a Court order, a Judgment for Dissolution of Marriage, a written parenting agreement, or some other agreement between the parties.

When you look at the agreement, you know that you are right. It is 7:15 p.m. and he was supposed to have the kids back by 7:00 p.m. It is Sunday and they have school tomorrow…It is Friday at 5:00 p.m. and you are at her house to pick up the boys for the weekend. It doesn’t look like anyone is home. What do you do?

Generally there are 3 people whom you can contact: 1.) Your spouse/ex-spouse; 2.) your lawyer; and 3.) the police. If you have a reasonable basis for believing your child(re) may be seriously endangered, by all means, call the police.

There is another option: Take a deep breath and consider the following—how late past the drop off time is it? Are you capable of effectively communicating with your spouse/ex-spouse via text and/or calling him or her? Is it reasonable to call your lawyer right now? Would calling the police make you look “crazy”? Do you want to risk exposing your children to the police over this?

Often, but certainly not always, the answer to whether you should call the police is “no.” (In the case where no one is home, the answer may be “yes”.)You may call your lawyer depending on the circumstances, but, even then, there is often little he or she can do to get your spouse/ex-spouse to return the child or children home in that moment. The typical recourse is for your lawyer to file a contempt action, for violating the parenting schedule, against the other parent.

Depending on how egregious the violation was and what other long term goals there may be in your case, your lawyer may recommend that you do not pursue a contempt action.

Many parents grow frustrated by this advice and sigh, “But he is always getting away with it….” It is critical to talk to your lawyer about other measures you can propose that may resolve the problem rather than calling the police.


Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

Maintenance, formerly known as alimony, is a relief granted to a party in a dissolution of marriage case that equitably restores to the party a standard of living to which they became acclimated during the marriage.  For spouses going through…

Visitation interference occurs when the custodial parent in some way interferes with your ability to spend parenting time with your child or visit with them.  In Illinois, a parent has a couple of options when the other parent interferes with…

We receive inquiries regularly from parents of children in Illinois regarding whether or not they can remove their child from the state of Illinois when they are estranged from their child’s other parent.  The answer varies, depending on different situations.…

People often are confused about the difference between a Civil Union and a Domestic Partnership, and what their rights are if their partner, to whom they are not married, leaves them or predeceases them.  This blog is designed to explain…

One of the most hot-button terms in parenting cases in Cook County is “alienation”, meaning that one parent is actively seeking to keep the child from having a relationship with their other parents. The current laws on parenting favor both…

In Illinois, there are two main ways to go about changing your minor child’s name: by agreement, and by Court adjudication of the issue.  As with all things related to co-parenting a minor child, the easiest and least costly method…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870