Anderson & Boback Logo

If I’m Named “Custodial Parent” Do I Have Sole Custody?

Categorized as Child Custody

“I had the state represent me in a child support case. Now it’s over. I am named the custodial parent, but does that mean I have sole custody? Should I hire a lawyer to petition for sole custody if I don’t have it right now?”

This question was recently posted on an attorney question board. The writer is a mother looking for clarification on an issue we see at the firm all the time. Parents are always interested in titles, and with that, always want to know exactly what type of custody they have.

Of course, it’s important to know the difference between “joint custody” and “sole custody” so that you know what your legal obligations are, but I find that parents are much too concerned about the title they have. Parents should be more concerned with what is in their parenting responsibilities agreement, instead of what title they have in the law. Typically, sole custody means that you will be making all the decisions regarding your child. You’ll decide what school the child attends, what doctor the child sees, and what religion the child will attend. In a joint custody arrangement, you’ll share these decisions with the other parent.

To answer this parent’s question though, if he/she is getting the child support, then presumably that person is the custodial parent. If there has been no designation by the court that the parents are joint parents, then its likely the custodial parent also has sole custody. Does this parent need an attorney to petition for custody though? It’s doubtful.

The State’s Attorneys are free to any person who seeks their services. But they are limited as to what types of cases they take. Their role is to get child support for the custodial parent, but that is just one issue that parents have. What about parenting time? Who has the child on a specific holiday or vacations? The State’s Attorney is not going to help the custodial parent with that, so having a court order that details that information is beneficial, whether you are the custodial parent or not.

Get Advice from a Child Custody Attorney

When you hire an attorney, you will want more than just a determination on what type of custody you want. Think less about the title you are seeking, and more about what you want your custody judgment to say. Each judgment is personal and reflects your special needs, so determine what they are. Stop thinking about what your friend, your neighbor, and your associate at work has in their custody judgment. Think about what you need, so you specifically tailor your agreement to fit you. For instance, are you attending night school on Tuesday nights? Do you need the other parent to step up and spend time with the child while you do that? That would be something beneficial to you, and when you approach the other parent to spend time with their child at that time, it’s likely to be a welcome conversation. Most non-custodial parents seek more time with their children, and this type of clause in your parenting agreement achieves everyone’s goals. Think long and hard about what you are looking for, and then, by all means, contact a child custody attorney to clarify your custodial rights. But expand the judgment to include items that will give both parents what they need, and it’s likely going to benefit your child. After all, it is supposed to be about what is in the child’s best interests.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

The legal term “best interests” is a concept that comes up in almost all child-related areas of family law. When making essentially any decision on behalf of a child, the court is going to look at what is best for…

Maintenance, formerly known as alimony, is a relief granted to a party in a dissolution of marriage case that equitably restores to the party a standard of living to which they became acclimated during the marriage.  For spouses going through…

Visitation interference occurs when the custodial parent in some way interferes with your ability to spend parenting time with your child or visit with them.  In Illinois, a parent has a couple of options when the other parent interferes with…

We receive inquiries regularly from parents of children in Illinois regarding whether or not they can remove their child from the state of Illinois when they are estranged from their child’s other parent.  The answer varies, depending on different situations.…

People often are confused about the difference between a Civil Union and a Domestic Partnership, and what their rights are if their partner, to whom they are not married, leaves them or predeceases them.  This blog is designed to explain…

One of the most hot-button terms in parenting cases in Cook County is “alienation”, meaning that one parent is actively seeking to keep the child from having a relationship with their other parents. The current laws on parenting favor both…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870