Anderson & Boback Logo

Pre Marital Agreement

Categorized as Prenuptial Agreements

Pre-marital agreements (formerly called “pre-nuptial” agreements) are contracts that parties enter into upon marriage which dictate how they would like to divide their assets should they decide to dissolve their marriage.  When parties decide to obtain a dissolution of their marriage and they have a pre-marital agreement, they often wonder how the pre-marital agreement will be enforced.

First, the parties may agree that the premarital agreement should be enforced in the divorce decree.  If the parties are agreeing to the divorce, and are in agreement that the premarital agreement should stand, the party whose attorney is drafting the divorce decree should be given a copy of the premarital agreement.  The drafting attorney can then incorporate the terms of the premarital agreement directly into the divorce decree.  It is simple to enforce a premarital agreement when the parties agree that it is valid and enforceable.

The second type of scenario occurs when one party wishes to abide by the terms of the premarital agreement and the other party, for a variety of reasons, either alleges the premarital agreement is invalid or otherwise should not be enforced.  In this scenario, it will be necessary for the divorce Judge to determine which portions, if not all of them, of the premarital agreement should be enforced.  Sometimes an entire premarital agreement is enforceable.  Other times, only a portion of the premarital agreement is enforceable.  Whether or not the premarital agreement will be enforced is a risk that parties take when they enter into the agreement.  Constantly changing law and circumstances of the parties both can contribute as to whether or not the premarital agreement will actually be enforced at all, or to what extent.

If you are divorcing and have a premarital agreement and questions about the enforcement of same, or, if you wish to incorporate same into the terms of your divorce decree, our attorneys can help you.  Please feel free to call our office to schedule a consultation.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

Wonder if your spousal maintenance is modifiable? This question was addressed in Scarp v. Rahman when the father in the case of sought to modify his maintenance obligation.  The trial court would not allow the modification so he sought an…

Birthdays are a big deal to kids - they usually get a party with their friends with cake, balloons, presents, and if they are lucky, a ball pit to jump into at Chucky Cheese! The day is all about them.…

Our firm represents a lot of military families and for the most part, handling a military divorce is just like any other divorce.  There are specific rules that need to be followed, however, and those parents in the military facing…

Changes to Spousal Maintenance Law in Illinois In 2019, a significant change in the tax code was made regarding maintenance, which resulted in spousal maintenance (formerly known as “alimony”, also known as “spousal support”) being tax-free to the recipient and…

Illinois has modified its statutes wherein parents are now allocated “parental responsibilities” and “parenting time” instead of “custody”.  The purpose of these changes was to try and give the parents less to fight over.  You can win “custody” but winning…

For Illinois parents that are no longer together or facing divorce, understanding the basics of child custody law is important. First, the term “custody” no longer exists in Illinois. The State of Illinois changed its laws regarding custody in 2016,…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870