Anderson & Boback Logo

Same Sex Marriage

Categorized as Same Sex Divorce

You obtained a civil union with your partner and now that marriage between same-sex couples is legal in Illinois, you would rather be married.  What are our options?

The new Religious Freedom and Marriage Fairness Act was recently signed into law and is scheduled to be effective as of June 1, 2014. The new Act provides that parties to a civil union may convert their civil union to a marriage, should they wish to, under Section 65 of the Act.

Section 65 of the Act provides that the parties will be able to voluntarily convert their civil union, or “other substantially similar relationship” by applying for and receiving a marriage license, and that the fee will be waived.  They will need to have the marriage solemnized.  The point of this subsection (a) appears to be that the parties to a civil union won’t have to dissolve their civil union before entering into a marriage.

It also appears that the Act will allow, from the period of June 1, 2014-June 1, 2015, couples of a civil union to convert their civil union into a marriage simply by applying for a marriage certificate, signing it and returning it for recording, so no solemnization of the marriage is required.  Parties can essentially use their solemnization of their civil union, and the date of the civil union becomes the date of the marriage.  This only applies if the civil union has not been dissolved, and, so long as there has not been filed a petition on file to dissolve the civil union.

So, for example, if you and your partner had a civil union ceremony on November 1, 2013 and wish to convert the civil union into a marriage, under the Act, you would need to apply for, return and sign a marriage license between June 1, 2014 and June 1, 2015, and your civil union becomes a marriage as of the date of the civil union (November 1, 2013).  Should you choose to wait until after June 1, 2015 to try and convert your civil union into a marriage, you still will be able to, but you will have to solemnize the marriage, and, you will be married as of the date of your marriage and not as of the date of the solemnization of the civil union.  You will not, however, have to dissolve your civil union prior to obtaining a marriage.

Of course, the same rules apply to same sex couples as couples that are not of the same sex when it comes to dissolving a civil union or a marriage.  Just the same, pre-marital agreements and the law surrounding these agreements likewise apply to same-sex couples.  Our attorneys are experienced in drafting such agreements and are available for consultation on any of these issues.

Was this information helpful?

You May Also Like

Wonder if your spousal maintenance is modifiable? This question was addressed in Scarp v. Rahman when the father in the case of sought to modify his maintenance obligation.  The trial court would not allow the modification so he sought an…

Birthdays are a big deal to kids - they usually get a party with their friends with cake, balloons, presents, and if they are lucky, a ball pit to jump into at Chucky Cheese! The day is all about them.…

Our firm represents a lot of military families and for the most part, handling a military divorce is just like any other divorce.  There are specific rules that need to be followed, however, and those parents in the military facing…

Changes to Spousal Maintenance Law in Illinois In 2019, a significant change in the tax code was made regarding maintenance, which resulted in spousal maintenance (formerly known as “alimony”, also known as “spousal support”) being tax-free to the recipient and…

Illinois has modified its statutes wherein parents are now allocated “parental responsibilities” and “parenting time” instead of “custody”.  The purpose of these changes was to try and give the parents less to fight over.  You can win “custody” but winning…

For Illinois parents that are no longer together or facing divorce, understanding the basics of child custody law is important. First, the term “custody” no longer exists in Illinois. The State of Illinois changed its laws regarding custody in 2016,…

Anderson & Boback small logo

Download our Divorce Planning Guide today!

Get the information you need to prepare for divorce with our free resource Guide to Planning for Your Divorce.

What our clients are saying

Schedule a Discreet Consultation Today!

    Firm Overview

    Anderson & Boback is a highly-respected, experienced Chicago family law firm, skilled in negotiation and litigation. When divorce and other family law issues make your life chaotic and uncertain, you want your case resolved as quickly and fairly as possible. Call Now 312-715-0870